Old 18-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Theo van Daele

Default Honey for koi ?

Just read about feeding bread (non bleached), soaked in honey, to koi, and
wondered what the jury here would say about it ?

Anyone doing this or is it a big no-no ?

Ta,

Theo

Old 18-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Lee Brouillet

Hey Theo!

Honey is fine for them; if you can find bee pollen, that's good, too. The
(extremely!) high-end Japanese import foods have honey and bee pollen in
them.

Another thing you could try: koi *love* garlic!!! When I mix up paste food
for them, I always add garlic powder, and they eat it right up. Also, if
yours hand-feed, try rubbing some garlic on your fingers and see what
happens!

Lee

Old 22-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Theo van Daele

Hey Lee,

Well, tried it in the mean time and they absolutely *loved* it :-)

(but then again I reckon when I just drop some concrete in they'll eat that
as well ;-)

High end food... I'm using Hikari mostly, and hoping that's good stuff ?

I also tried the garlic (couldn't resist) and rubbed my hands in fresh
garlic. Yup, they were very interested indeed. Had to get used to it it
seemed, and then they really started to get the hang of it. So I give them
a minuscule particle... yup, they eat that too.

In the mean time, I finally found a fish I've been wanting for years ... a 3
year old magoi. Very strong & tame fish, eats out of my hand after one day
!

http://www.wide-o.net/summerpond2003/magoi.jpg

Is there something as CompulsiveKoiBuyers Anonymous, because I need it ? ;-)

Theo

"Lee Brouillet" schreef in bericht

Old 22-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Lee Brouillet

LUVly fishie! The magoi/chagoi/ochiba's are all pretty close to the
"natural" carp, so they're very hardy, indeed. Further, they are *famous*
for being easy to tame and will learn to hand-feed readily. And - it seems
that once *one* fish does it, the rest get jealous and want to do it, too.
That's another of the fish on my Wish List.

If you find CompulsiveKoiBuyersAnonymous, please sign me up right after you
.. . . (sigh).

Hikari is a good food: you're not cheating your babies. I purchased some of
the Gold (with the color enhancers) and had to give it away: my white fish
were taking on a distinct "blush". It was quite disturbing to watch my
high-end shiro utsuri turn pink! The non-white fish looked great, though
G! The *really* high-end fish food I was talking about has silkworm pupae
in it, in addition to the bee pollen and honey. But it goes for about $45 US
per pound. Personally, as much as I like my fish, I'm not sacrificing MY
grocery budget for THEIRS!

[...]

;-)

Old 22-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Nedra

I feed my guys and gals the Koi food from
koivet.com - I purposely buy the small pellet. The
big kids really go for it and the small Goldies get a bite
too. Just ordered my third bag.....

Nedra

Old 23-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Lee Brouillet

That's ALSO a good food! Doc J catches a lot of flack because he makes
mistakes and goes public with them. I think it kinda makes him human, and if
HE can make stupid boo-boos with all of his expertise, then the rest of us
need to be on our toes G! The stuff he advocates/stands behind can be
pricey, but they're also good. And yes, a lot of the stuff he advocates are
sponsors of his various sites and projects, but that does not mean that the
products are not worthy of attention and evaluation.

rthlink.net...

?

Old 23-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Theo van Daele

Further, they are *famous*
for being easy to tame and will learn to hand-feed readily.

They are My wife got her first "kissy" from it this evening, that's
after, erm... 26 hours in the pond.

Betty (who turned out to be Bert really) is an Ochiba, and he was/is always
the first to swim towards us. We can actually take her out of the water
(we don't, but we tried once). She is worse than our cats, and is a real
pet. And indeed, she "forced" the rest of the fish to do the same. Even
the small baby koi we bought this year love the hands thing, they just saw
their big bro' do it and follow suit.

And - it seems
that once *one* fish does it, the rest get jealous and want to do it, too.
That's another of the fish on my Wish List.

They got my attention after reading more about them being so tame & strong.
Apparently, in a Japanese pond you need at least one of them, as a black
fish is supposed to bring luck. "Mother" of all Kois. Hmmm... those
chagois looked quite nice as well...

If you find CompulsiveKoiBuyersAnonymous, please sign me up right after

you
. . . (sigh).

:-)

I purchased some of
the Gold (with the color enhancers) and had to give it away: my white fish
were taking on a distinct "blush".

I have that one too, and the "problem" there is that it contains carotene,
which also makes white go pink. Apparantly (I'm not an expert mind !) the
food with Spirulina does a better job (Hikari do that one also). Mexicans
eat that too (it's an algae) and it only deepens the red and doesn't turn
white into pink. FWIW.

The *really* high-end fish food I was talking about has silkworm pupae
in it

Ah, I have that stuff too :blush:, but not from Hikari. It's from Velda,
and I don't think most of their products are really up to snuff, but the
dried silkworms are pretty good IMHO. The fish go crazy when I feed that,
but I also read it should only be fed when it's really warm, and only once a
week, as it can cause diabetes - or so I heard.

Something to really think about: I found a reference that claims that magoi
actually came from ... Persia (Iran/Iraq). Seems to be relevant to the
current discussions no ? :-)

Theo

Honey bees nesting in garden s guy United Kingdom 27 19-05-2003 09:56 PM
Honey fungus and wood chips John Towill United Kingdom 2 24-04-2003 07:44 PM
Wild honey bees! Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 0 16-04-2003 11:44 AM
honey bees Snooze Gardening 12 03-04-2003 12:32 AM
Honey Fungus Carol Russell United Kingdom 3 28-11-2002 11:43 AM