Old 22-07-2003, 03:53 AM
Nedra

Default is ph & alkaline the same?

Sounds like readings from a KH test kit. KH measures
the alkalinity of the pond water. I like to keep the KH
at close to 140. Or a pH of 8.4... I add baking soda to
get the KH reading up.
One cup of Baking Soda to 1,000 gallons of water.
Only add one cup at a time each day until you have
reached the 120 (in your case) mark.
Instructions:
Mix a cup of Baking Soda in a couple of cups of pond water.
Drizzle the mixture around the pond then water the pond to
mix the BS in .... VBG

Hope this helps.

Nedra

"*muffin*" wrote in message
my ph test kit says that 7.0 on the reading is neutral.
above is alkaline.......
but, some 'things' (like koizyme) want an alkalinity as a minimum of 80
preferred is 100-120.
where/how do you get those readings???????/

Old 23-07-2003, 02:02 AM
bobkiely

Muffin:
Your question is flawed. Or to give you an answer - No, they are not the
same.

Ph is the "measurement" of something's acidity or alkalinity on a scale from
1 to 14. Examples: Hydrocholoric acid = 1; Lime-Away = 3; Vinegar = 6; Tap
water = 7 (usually); Liquid floor cleaner = 9; Dishwasher detergent = 10-11;
Caustic = 14.

I've never seen a ph kit that has readings with 3 digits unless 127 means
12.7. When I lived in Ohio I used to work for a chemical company so I have a
little background on ph.

The above examples are just that so don't hold me to the exact readings.
Hope that helped.
BK

PS: BTW What is koizyme?

Old 23-07-2003, 02:22 AM
RichToyBox

BK

KoiZyme is a bacteria that out competes the aeromonas and psuedomonas
bacteria that cause the fish to develop ulcers. It is the closest thing to
a silver bullet that has ever come along for the elimination of bacterial
infections in fish. I have been using it since it was first introduced and
have not had to give injectable antibiotics but to a couple of fish since.

Your response on pH is correct, but what people are referring to as
alkalinity is the carbonate hardness KH which acts as a buffer to the pH
swings by the acids produced in the pond, mostly carbolic acid from the CO2
generated by the fish, bacteria, and at night by the submerged plants. KH
is called total hardness, temporary hardness, hardness, alkalinity, and
probably several other names. GH is also called hardness, permanent
hardness, and probably a few other things, but it is a measure of calcium
and magnesium in the water.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-07-2003, 04:43 AM
bobkiely

Thank you for that explanation...hopefully I won't need the information but
if I do I'll remember who to go to for the problem.
BK
. net...

Old 25-07-2003, 04:43 AM
Tom La Bron

Muffin,

To answer your question, No they are not the same, the words are similar but
their meanings tell you different things.

The easiest way for me, years ago, to tell the difference is that when you
are talking about pH you are talking about whether the water is acid or
basic and/or alkaline. The pH is essentially the reading of the acid
content of the water and if it is not acid it is neutral or basic.
Personally, I think the term basic should be used more often, because when
you mention alkaline, especially now-a-days, people seem to think about
Alkalinity as being the same thing and it is not, for alkalinity is the
measurement of the carbonates that are in the water that is part of the
hardness or the water as in Sodium bi"carbonate". GH (general Hardness)
deals with the hardness measuring the amount of Calcium and Magnesium in the
water.

So when you think about pH think acid, neutral and basic and/or if you must,
you can exchange basic for alkaline, not alkalinity.

Now alkalinity is measured two ways in degrees and ppm. The degrees was
devised by the Germans in dKH degree. This degree can be changed to ppm by
multiplying it by 17.9 . So if your kit reads 8 degrees of dKH your water
has an alkalinity of 143 ppm of alkalinity. Personally, I like the good old
ppm measurement.

So, to summarize; pH deals with reading that tell you if your water is acid,
neutral or basic, or if you must if you water is alkaline. When you deal
with KH you are dealing with alkalinity that tells you the amount of
buffering carbonates are in your water.

HTH

Tom L.L.