Old 23-07-2003, 12:22 PM
*muffin*

Default water testing

this can't be right,, can it???

after reading about 'acid' rain, I figured I should test the water, since we
had tONS of rain water this week.

I usual test in afternoon, (ok ,I am NOt a morning person)

but these results look weird.
KH = 250ppm
GH=143ppm
PH=7.5
nitrite=.5
nitrate= 0
ammonia= .25

I will redo this afternoon

Old 23-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

Looks fine to me. However, unless it's a new pond I'd be concerned with the
nitrite and ammonia. Looks like you dont have enough bacterial filtration.

Old 27-07-2003, 07:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:17:35 -0400, "Sam Hopkins" wrote:
Looks fine to me. However, unless it's a new pond I'd be concerned with the
nitrite and ammonia. Looks like you dont have enough bacterial filtration.

I agree, unless the ammonia & nitrite tests were just a glitch, better get
salt in the pond to protect against brown blood disease and Amquel (or
similar) to detox the Ammonia. Other numbers are great.

"*muffin*" wrote in message
I usual test in afternoon, (ok ,I am NOt a morning person)

Neither am I. Unless you counting staying up till 1 am. ;o) ~ jan

but these results look weird.
KH = 250ppm
GH=143ppm
PH=7.5
nitrite=.5
nitrate= 0
ammonia= .25

I will redo this afternoon

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-07-2003, 03:13 AM
Tom La Bron

Muffin,

What is your usual pH? If your usual pH is higher the softening of the
water and the dilution of the water by the rain causing the pH to decrease
would account for the nitrite and ammonia readings. Anytime there is a
major change quick change in you water chemistry your biobugs die off and
reproduce back to a normal population.

Tom L.L.