Old 25-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Pete

Default Help / Newbie

I've got a massive algae problem in my little pond, anyone know a quick and
easy way to solve this?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 25-07-2003, 03:03 PM
NJ

"Pete" wrote in message
I've got a massive algae problem in my little pond, anyone know a quick

and
easy way to solve this?

Pete,
How "little" is your little pond? What kind of algae is it: string or
mossy or what? Do you have fish? Do you have a filter or skimmer?

My "little" pond is about 600 gallons, and I have fish. I have successfully
used a product called "Algae Fix", but I am sure to clean out the skimmer
and filter to get rid of the dead algae left behind. If I don't do this,
the dead algae will provide food for a new algae bloom.

HTH,
NJ

Old 25-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Pete wrote:
I've got a massive algae problem in my little pond, anyone know a quick and
easy way to solve this?

Thanks,

Pete

No, patience and lots of plants and more patience.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-07-2003, 03:32 PM
K30a

Algae fighting tips

~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going!
~ add LOTS of plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi) and *not*
overfeeding the fish.
~ building a mechanical filter to screen gunk.
~ build a veggie filter, run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
I use A HREF="http://united-tech.com"http://united-tech.com/A
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV filters - expensive but work on green pea soup water (single cell algae).
~ patience and time ;-)

k30a
Old 25-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Anne Lurie

Pete,

Here's the FAQ website for rec.ponds:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html

There may be an answer for you there. So far, my best discovery was that
the algae on the side of a pond are "good" algae, so I don't have to worry
about removing them.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 26-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Pete

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I live int he Uk with a small garden, I
guess the pond is about a metre square in all, I just built it to be a
little wildlife pond and I am going to put lots more pond plats into it, I
was just a tad worried about the algae, it is not a fish pond. I have part
of my garden growing wild to try to get some natural wildlife, I was just
worried as the water was so murky.

Thanks all for the invaluable advice,

Pete

.com...