Old 26-07-2003, 03:13 PM
johnrutz

Default bretts fish farm

cant remember if the url was posted or not so here it is

-- http://www.brettsfishfarm.com/default.html

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 27-07-2003, 12:32 AM
jammer

$3500 for a freakin' fish that lives outside? UNH UH!

Did anyone here do anything that crazy when buying fish? I am attached
to my 12 cent feeder!

Old 27-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Nedra

Welll ... jammer, as they say: "To each his own". ;-)

I just wish I had money for a bottom drain, a skimmer
and the Koi! No way would I bring one of Brett's fish into
my simplistic pond. The ones in there today were either
bought in 1995 or born there.

Nedra

Old 27-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Gregory Young

If you want some quality koi, for reasonable $$, you may want to check out
Koi by Keiren, located in Pa near Philadelphia, or Harry Abel's place in
Virginia. The latter is regarded as the place to go for the best quality
imports on the East coast, but the former is pretty close..
Both are major Japanese importers, are active with AKCA, and MAKC, host wet
labs with Drs Johnson, Yoshi, etc., and both will have some of their fish on
display at the upcoming national Koi America show in Chantilly Virginia
August 8 - 10th.
You can get quality Japanese Koi, (younger of course), but from good blood
lines for $150 and up.
Why spend even $150??.. that's easy. All you have to do is to see the fish
side by side. The colors and patterns of the Japanese Koi blow the domestics
away. The reds are true reds, not orange reds. Again, unless you see them
side by side you won't necessarily appreciate how much they differ.
We've certainly made progress in domestics, but there still are large
differences between domestics and the Japanese imports.
I guess if you want to buy adult show champs, etc, you could pay the $$, but
I agree.. I would not want to pay that kind of $$ for fish in an outside
environment, with variables that are sometimes hard to control. I would
rather buy them young and watch them grow...
Each to their own.. it depends on what you want. Some of the nicest koi, may
be the least attractive!
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 27-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Nedra

Greg, I know your post was *not* directed to me. I can't
buy any Koi at all - no matter how reasonable due to my
pond not having a bottom drain or a skimmer. $$ are too
short for the foreseeable future to fix those two minuses.
Thanks for the info anyway.

Nedra

. ..

Old 28-07-2003, 01:04 AM
RichToyBox

Greg,

Small correction on Abel, it is Ray Abell and his web site is
http://www.nishikigoiofniigata.com/. Now he only has a few of his many fish
on the site, and as stated, they are beautiful. The prices on the larger
fish are a LITTLE STEEP. He does import some smaller fish.
--
RichToyBox

Old 29-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Gregory Young

Hi Nedra:
No, not at all! I was just responding to jammer, agreeing with him on the
cost of some Koi, which can go for megabucks!!
Inside, in a controlled (or at least semicontrolled environment), I could
understand it if you had lots of $$ you wished to invest in your hobby, but
outside, at least here in WNY, I could never understand it, unless it they
were kept in a heated, enclosed pond....
I still haven't caught my mink, (who fished out my koi and GF)despite all my
best efforts with baited have-a-hearts, but the pros warned me mink were too
clever to catch in that fashion. But even a professional trapper had no
luck, so I guess I will go with a low visibility electric fence (about 4
inches above ground level).
I was looking at the fi-shock, but they want a large amount of $$ for a
simple fence (retail $155 for 10 posts, wire, shocker and ground rod). As I
need a total of about 146 feet to go around everything, it will cost lots
more than that.
I can do it for a fraction of that cost, but will have to look around for
small decorative plastic posts that can serve as insulated standoffs. The
wire I have, the shocker I can get for $30 maximum.
Mink vs. man.. should be interesting to see who wins. I think my wife is
betting on the mink, and she is usually right!
Happy ponding,
Greg

PS I really intend to bring back some of Abel's Koi (thanks for the
correction on the typo Rich) from the Koi USA show, so I have to keep them
safe somehow! I have 6 weeks while they are in isolation in my show tank to
get everything setup.

PPS Rich.. a little steep? Wow, some get right up there, but all the AKCA
staff, judges, and almost all of the MAKC folks I have talked
to/corresponded with swear he is #1, so I will check him out Monday,
following the show..
Am bringing a small group from my Koi club here in WNY (8 counting me), so
it should be fun. We will be staying at the Suites across the way, as the
block rates for host hotel were not available when I called couple of months
back. (instead of $69/night block rate they quoted $129 for 1st and last
nights, and $89 for other 2 nights!.. suites were only $72/night, so it was
a no brainer!)

Any other NG readers making the show, that would like to meet up for a face
to face?? RTB I know will be manning a booth.. Rich I will check in with
registration and try to track you down..

thlink.net...

Old 29-07-2003, 01:03 AM
K30a

Greg wrote Mink vs. man...

Let me know if the DIY 4 inch electric fence works.
I'm working on another predator deterrent article.

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 29-07-2003, 02:03 AM
RichToyBox

Greg,

The wife and I are on the MAKC booth Friday evening 4-6. Come on by, I
would love to lay eyes on some of the people on the newsgroup. If you are
coming to Richmond to see Ray, you are welcome to come to the other side of
town and see my ponds and gardens.

And yes, Ray has a lot of gorgeous fish.

--
RichToyBox

[...]

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

$$,

Old 29-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Lee Brouillet

I purchased one of my fish from Ray Abel, a beautiful little goromo that
took second place, and all I wanted to do was keep him someplace for a few
days until I was ready to go home! The judges said he would have done
better, but it was mid-March, and the poor little guy was a bit skinny from
winter.

FWIW: take a bib to protect your shirt from the drool . . . the man has
some fanTAStic fish!

Lee

[...]

thlink.net...

Old 30-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Gregory Young

Already have the bib!
Thanks Lee!

--

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
[...]

thlink.net...

Old 30-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Gregory Young

Thanks Rich.. that is a very nice offer! We will definitely look you and
your wife up!
We will staying until Monday, so we would love to get to "the other side of
town" if it fits in with your schedule!
Take care,
Greg

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
[...]

thlink.net...

ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
farm pond help! Eddie Ponds 1 31-03-2003 05:56 AM
Farm pond improvement question. CR Ponds 0 30-03-2003 03:56 PM
Slaters in worm farm Mousie Australia 1 16-02-2003 11:04 AM
Antique Rose Farm Info wanted about Mark or Travis Roses 0 02-02-2003 06:09 PM