Old 28-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Lynn Strickland

Default Ideas for Facing a Waterfall

Hi -

My pond will have a waterfall that comes over a 32" high retaining wall.
After the liner goes over the wall, any ideas on how I hide the liner with a
32 drop? I could pile rocks, but that's a big pile (and it will look like a
pile of rocks). How do I make it look natural?

TIA!

Old 28-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Lee Brouillet

Hmmm . . . how about just having a large weir that puts the water in one
sheet to the pond level? If it's 10-12" away from the wall itself, it
shouldn't leak. Or am I missing something here?

Lee

arthlink.net...

Old 28-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Carl Beyer

"Lynn Strickland" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
Hi -

My pond will have a waterfall that comes over a 32" high retaining wall.
After the liner goes over the wall, any ideas on how I hide the liner with

32 drop? I could pile rocks, but that's a big pile (and it will look like

pile of rocks). How do I make it look natural?

TIA!

You may want to look into culture rock. There is a company that makes
fake rock wall material. Seems to be ultra durrable.

You will find it at you local building supply. About $50 per box (10
square feet).

Comes in a variety of types (flat stacked rock, boulders, bricks..._

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 28-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Chad

I did the stacked rocks thing... I only had to cover 2 1/2 concrete
blocks and not very wide.. about 20 inches drop on the largest fall.
I built from the bottom up, in a U shape to minimize the splash.
Then, I backfilled the liner with dirt to add stability to the stacked
rocks and encourage the water come over them instead of behind them.
In addition, I cut a small piece of liner that is weighted down with
river rock and overlaps the top rock on the waterfall from the stream
above to get the water over the falls.

I am currently "attempting" to make an artifical rock out of
styrofoam, chicken wire and concrete. My test boulder has a complete
scratch coat on it and I have textured 2 sides to completion. It is
going pretty well so far and is a lot less expensive that rock. I
will see how the painting process goes this weekend and then I will
post pictures. If I like the results I will move on to a larger
project and create a larger waterfall using the same process.

btw, you can see my stacked rocks at the following URL under pond
construction.

http://members.cox.net/bokowski
Old 29-07-2003, 12:13 PM
pixi

"You may want to look into culture rock. There is a company that makes fake
rock wall material. Seems to be ultra durrable."

This sounds like a great idea to me. The waterfall that I am building will
be about 4 feet high with three steps or cascades. Two of the cascades
will be about 18" high. and I need something to line the back so the liner
can't be seen when the waterfall is not running.
My neighbor has given me a mess of flag stone that I haven't even looked at
yet. If it is thin enough I can hide the liner by up ending a flagstone or
two. If not, the cultured rock might do.

But will cultured rock hurt the fish if it should decompose.

Another question., Where can I buy that black foam to anchor my rocks along
the waterfall. None of the hardware stores in this area ever heard of
black.

I live in the back of beyond.

This group has been such a tremendous help to me. I could not have done as
much as I have without your advice.

The pond is on hold again. Two inches of rain yesterday.

"Nuff said

Pixi

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

Old 29-07-2003, 06:03 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lynn Strickland" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
Hi -

My pond will have a waterfall that comes over a 32" high retaining wall.
After the liner goes over the wall, any ideas on how I hide the liner with

32 drop? I could pile rocks, but that's a big pile (and it will look like

pile of rocks). How do I make it look natural?

How about running the liner behind the wall, and making the wall part of the
feature? A bit of structure in a natural pond may look nice. You could also
plant some plants in the wall crevasse adding further to the look.

BV.