Old 05-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default Is a Air Pump necessary?

"BenignVanilla" writes:

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
To be totally honest, I don't know of any filter that can remove the
dissolved salts, the hormones, or the levels of medication in terms of

which
I speak. Perhaps RO (reverse osmosis) or distillation, but certainly

nothing
like we use in the ponds. When medicating, many times you have to bypass
your filtration so that you don't kill off your bio-bugs. That's why it's

so
nice that many of the newer drugs are filter-friendly. But before you

think
I'm speaking out of turn, to answer your question: No, my filters will not
remove growth inhibiting hormones from my pond's water. Not salt, either.

Or
medications. That's why I have to do water exchanges - and I do 10-15%

each
and every week, even when it rains - but that's mostly to backflush the
filter.

snip

Is there a test for the "proteins"?

Foaming can indicate proteins (DOC - dissolved organic compounds). There is
a gadget called a protein skimmer that uses the foaming behavior to remove
them. Basically an airstone pushes foam up a tube and whatever makes it to the
top falls into a waste container. Common in marine aquariums, supposedly more
difficult in freshwater (salt water foams easier). I read article on people
making them for their ponds.

Damn, I've got to cut down on that caffeine,,,

Old 05-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Lee Brouillet

None that we as normal folk can do! You can send a sample to a lab and the
folks in the long white coats can tell you right down to the molecules
what's in your pond, but most test kits available on the market are limited
to the environmental aspects of water.

Lee

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

[...]

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

I have instructions for making a "foam fractionator" that I copied to my
hard drive and can send to you, if you'd like. It's on my growing list of
"My, wouldn't that be great to build one of these days?" things. It appears
to be relatively simple to build: it's *hiding* the damn thing that may be
troublesome.

Lee

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
I have instructions for making a "foam fractionator" that I copied to my
hard drive and can send to you, if you'd like. It's on my growing list of
"My, wouldn't that be great to build one of these days?" things. It

appears
to be relatively simple to build: it's *hiding* the damn thing that may be
troublesome.

snip

My concern with the water changes, is that it violates the prime directive,
STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!. I figure if I am changing water on a
regular basis, I am more prone to have a problem. I dunno. Maybe it's my
newbie ignorance, but my guy tells me to leave it alone. And top off on a
regular basis

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Lee Brouillet

I had a nagging thought I checked on: activated charcoal will remove the
hormones/pheromones. It will also remove residual medication (which is why
you must remove any activated charcoal from your system prior to doing PP or
other meds). It *won't* remove salt. Activated charcoal is used at the rate
of 3 lbs. per 1,000 gallons of pond, replaced every 3 months. I like to put
mine in knee-high stockings, tied at the top (double stockings is not a bad
idea). Queen size have the most "give". The "bags" need to be placed in a
high volume flow area (I keep mine in the waterfall box), and you should
remember to knead them every few weeks to keep the biofilm from getting too
thick (clogging the pores) thereby preventing the charcoal from being able
to absorb.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:32 PM
john rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

-- total disolved solids if the link works this is one of what aquatic
eco systerms has

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1...215756472340D&

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 06-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Andrew Burgess

"BenignVanilla" writes:

My concern with the water changes, is that it violates the prime directive,
STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!. I figure if I am changing water on a
regular basis, I am more prone to have a problem. I dunno. Maybe it's my
newbie ignorance, but my guy tells me to leave it alone. And top off on a
regular basis

I have an automatic changer, just a 1 gal/hr drip irrigation emmiter. No
worries about chlorine at that rate. You do need an overflow though...

Old 06-08-2003, 12:12 AM
john rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message

I have instructions for making a "foam fractionator" that I copied to my
hard drive and can send to you, if you'd like. It's on my growing list of
"My, wouldn't that be great to build one of these days?" things. It

appears

to be relatively simple to build: it's *hiding* the damn thing that may be
troublesome.

snip

My concern with the water changes, is that it violates the prime directive,
STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!. I figure if I am changing water on a
regular basis, I am more prone to have a problem. I dunno. Maybe it's my
newbie ignorance, but my guy tells me to leave it alone. And top off on a
regular basis

BV.

BV

when I had 150 fish in my pond i did water changes every week, now that
I only have 10 i still do them, its just one of those "maintenance"
things like cleaning pump intakes or filters.

the way I do it is when the evaporation has necisitated a top off then
I drain out another 500 gallons or so I figure that way I get more of
the disoved solids and other builtup whatevers per gallon, then refill
with the new water. this gives me roughly 1000 gal of new fresh water a
week good fr the fish and good for the plants