Old 04-08-2003, 01:03 AM
RichToyBox

Default Captured!

Not sure about the effectiveness of catch and release. Look at
http://www.eapl.com/raccoon.html
--
RichToyBox

"Hank" wrote in message
I hope you are luckier than I. In the past two weeks I have set the
trap every night and so far the total is eight ........ nothing in the
past three nights ......... so maybe ***crossing fingers**** that's
it.
It's amazing how quickly water-cress and WH can recover.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

"Lori" wrote in message
That blasted raccoon that has trashed my watergarden twice!
The professional critter-catcher left 2 Hav-a-heart traps set a week
or so ago, and the one in the crawlspace had been tripped once with
nothing in it....but tonight, I heard the trap close, hubby checked,
and wow!! the 'coon was IN it this time.

Whew! Sure hope the catcher takes him far far away before releasing
him.

Lori

Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Lori

Not sure about the effectiveness of catch and release. Look at

True. However, the entry in the crawlspace is being fixed, so at least
the 'coons will not be getting in under the house. :-)

Old 04-08-2003, 05:23 AM
jammer

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 16:31:32 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

Now maybe he can be relocated far to where ......... (I better stop before I
get my self in trouble with Jammer! I really really don't like raccoons!)

Old 04-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Kelly E Jones

In article ,
Lori wrote:

Now maybe he can be relocated far to where ......... (I better stop before I
get my self in trouble with Jammer! I really really don't like raccoons!)

:-) The CC is going to take it out in the country and turn it loose.

Swell. I live in the country, and I have to deal all the time with
problem animals the suburbanites dumped in my back yard because THEY
didn't want to deal with them: cats, dogs, rabbits, raccoons, you name
it.

Guess what country folk do these animals?

Kelly

Old 04-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Kelly E Jones

In article ,
Lori wrote:

.Thanks for trapping instead of shooting.

Why? What will become of him now? Will he be released in some other
area, so that he will become someone else's problem? That's hardly
ethical.

Or will the trapper drive miles and miles into the wilderness (yeah,
right) to release him in a location where he won't bother any other
humans? If so, then he's just displacing some other racoon (or other
wildlife), which means that one of them will starve, or kill the
other. Can't see the point of that.

Or is the trapper going to take the racoon to the Shady Acres Rest
Home for Wayward Racoons, where he will live to the end of his days
cared for by a loving staff, with all the Racoon Tasty Snacks he can
eat? That's a pleasant fantasy... perhaps we should go with that one.

Seriously, if the racoon is a problem for you, it's a problem period.
Trapping it just transfers the problem to someone else. Shoot it. If
you can't deal with shooting problem wildlife, don't build your homes
in their habitat.

Kelly

Old 04-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Hank

A slice of bread with peanut butter and I put some on the trip lever.
( this prevents catching the neighbors cat. Also many say
marshmallows)

"Lori" wrote in message

I hope you are luckier than I. In the past two weeks I have set the
trap every night and so far the total is eight ........ nothing in

the
past three nights ......... so maybe ***crossing fingers**** that's
it.

What are you using as bait? The critter-catcher putv a can of cat

food
in the trap. Took almost 2 weeks to catch him. He tripped it once

but
managed to avoid being in the cage at that time, so thought sure he
wouldn't go in the trap again...

It's amazing how quickly water-cress and WH can recover.

My WH is still struggling.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Snooze

"Kelly E Jones" wrote in message
In article ,
Lori wrote:

.Thanks for trapping instead of shooting.

Seriously, if the racoon is a problem for you, it's a problem period.
Trapping it just transfers the problem to someone else. Shoot it. If
you can't deal with shooting problem wildlife, don't build your homes
in their habitat.

Isn't that how the west was won? If it moves shoot it, if tastes good, cook
it and eat it, otherwise mount it in the trophy room.

Until the coon learns to become like the rat and mouse, they're doomed to
become an endangered species, once we'd developed all their habitat.

Sameer

Old 05-08-2003, 04:20 AM
K30a

Raccoons aren't doomed, they are thriving.
Their population is on par with what it was
in the mid-1800s, despite hunting, suburbs and cars.
They love our suburban habitiats. They are very
smart and adaptive. My brother has them in his backyard in San Francisco, very
cool urban dudes with their little cups of espresso.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 05-08-2003, 04:20 AM
Gary Rich

jammer wrote:
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:15:58 -0500, Lori wrote:

That blasted raccoon that has trashed my watergarden twice!
The professional critter-catcher left 2 Hav-a-heart traps set a week
or so ago, and the one in the crawlspace had been tripped once with
nothing in it....but tonight, I heard the trap close, hubby checked,
and wow!! the 'coon was IN it this time.

Whew! Sure hope the catcher takes him far far away before releasing
him.

Lori

.Thanks for trapping instead of shooting.
Peace

Here it is against the law to catch and release animals (disease and
population problems). If you trap 'possums or coons you pretty much
have to kill them. The pound will usually kill them for you if you
deliver. Your guy is probably going to kill them, but it's better for
business if he lets you think they are going to "the country".

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Hank

In my area Animal Control charges $40.00 per animal to trap and remove
an animal and by law they must release it in the same township unless
it is on county property. I bought the same trap they use for $39.00.
Last year I caught five and this year eight and I release them in a
county park ten miles away. If these animals are a nuisance to
everyone in my neighborhood why should I have to pay to have them
removed and set loose were they can return.
Now that I vented, they are right ....... very seldom only one
raccoon.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

"Lori" wrote in message

I do hate to rain on your parade but...

Where there is one Raccoon there are usually others....

Have only seen the one...but the second trap is now under the house
waiting :-)

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Lori

Seriously, if the racoon is a problem for you, it's a problem period.
Trapping it just transfers the problem to someone else. Shoot it. If
you can't deal with shooting problem wildlife, don't build your homes
in their habitat.

I didn't build my home in their habitat. This is the city, I just rent
a home here.

I would have shot it, but I ain't about to go to jail because of a
stupid 'coon.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Lori

Guess what country folk do these animals?

Dunno about most of ya'll, but when we are at our country home, we
shoot them

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Lori

A slice of bread with peanut butter and I put some on the trip lever.
( this prevents catching the neighbors cat. Also many say
marshmallows)

Marshmallows didn't work for me :-(
Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Lori

Here it is against the law to catch and release animals (disease and
population problems). If you trap 'possums or coons you pretty much
have to kill them. The pound will usually kill them for you if you
deliver. Your guy is probably going to kill them, but it's better for
business if he lets you think they are going to "the country".

I don't care what he did with the thing, as long as it isn't living
and pooping and releasing fleas under my house anymore.