Old 04-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Big Bill

Default leak in concrete pond - a little help?

It's in the garden of the local pub. There's been a leak for
months/years, but only occasionally. We refill the pond and forget
about it. Now it's almost emptying every day. I put talcum powder on
the surface to see if it would be pulled to one side, illustrating the
whereabouts of the leak. several hours later, the pond had gone down
loads and the talc had stayed in exactly the same place. This leads me
to assume that the leak is smack dab on the bottom. Could any kind
souls advise me on a) how I can find the leak, b) how I can fix it and
c) what to keep the handful of fish in while I'm mending the pond?

BB
MFW Britpack www.extreme-positioning.co.uk
There is only one war, and it's not the rich against the poor,
the blacks against the whites, the Federation against the Borg,
or the Democrats versus the Republicans. It's those of us who
aren't complete idiots against those of us who are.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Lori

http://www.sanitred.com/WaterFountain.htm
Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

Go to home depot and buy a product called "Thoroseal". It's what zoos use.
It's located in thier "putty" section. Like where the plaster of paris is.
I'd pressure wash at 3000PSI (yes 3000) first so that you get a good seal.

Sam

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Big Bill

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:04:37 -0400, "Sam Hopkins"
wrote:

Go to home depot and buy a product called "Thoroseal". It's what zoos use.
It's located in thier "putty" section. Like where the plaster of paris is.
I'd pressure wash at 3000PSI (yes 3000) first so that you get a good seal.

Sam

Er, we have a hose. It's of the garden variety. And that's it. Is that
enough?

BB

.. .

Old 05-08-2003, 01:02 PM
groovy

Use milk to locate the hole, it doesn't harm the fish and works
in 3D rather than just on the surface.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

I'd scrub with a scrub brush and throw some clorox on it to get out any
organics. Cement doesn't like to stick to cement so the cleaner you can get
it the better.

wrote:

Go to home depot and buy a product called "Thoroseal". It's what zoos

use.
It's located in thier "putty" section. Like where the plaster of paris

is.
I'd pressure wash at 3000PSI (yes 3000) first so that you get a good

seal.

Sam

Er, we have a hose. It's of the garden variety. And that's it. Is that
enough?

BB

.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Axolotl

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in
:

I'd scrub with a scrub brush and throw some clorox on it to get out
any organics. Cement doesn't like to stick to cement so the cleaner
you can get it the better.

I would avoid using chemicals if at all possible they soak into the
concrete and may continue working even after rinsing. The chlorine it
Clorox may degrade the concrete and cause you more problem later on. Not
only that but any chemicals you use may leach out into the pond at a later
date.

Rent a power washer from your local tool rental company and use only plain
clean water. It will do a much better job of cleaning the concrete and will
not leave any chemical residue. Get the highest pressure you can, 3000 psi
has been suggested, it will remove any paint and mechanically etch the
surface providing a good foundation for the sealant. In addition it will
clean in the cracks and crevices where you need to get it really clean in
order to maximize the adhesion of the sealing compound.

Good luck
ANO

little by little Joaquim will help the card, and if Tommy totally pours it too, the pool will reject inside the lost morning Zack di Giamo United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 12:28 PM
Stopping Leak in Concrete Water Reservoir ?? Edwin Pawlowski Lawns 7 22-03-2005 06:09 AM
Stopping Leak in Concrete Water Reservoir ?? James Lawns 0 21-03-2005 12:04 AM
pond leak- help JLu3140998 Ponds 9 02-10-2003 12:42 AM
Leak in pond PSupez Ponds 2 27-07-2003 03:22 PM