Old 29-09-2003, 06:32 PM
JLu3140998

Default pond leak- help

hi everyone
i have a new 33x33 pond with xavan pond liner
filled with water, and have a leak
cannot find leak- is there a product that can be added to water
that will repair leak
fish not added yet- can remove plants to repair if necessary
pond draining fast and water is very expensive here
help please!!!!!!!
Old 29-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

Let the pond drain until it stops. This is the level the leak is at. Once
that happens walk around the parameter and drop a few drops of milk into the
water. The leak will pull the milk towards it showing you where it is. If
there is no pull continue around the parameter of the pond dropping in a few
drops of milk until you locate it.

Old 29-09-2003, 07:02 PM
K30a

Let the water drain down until it stops then you'll know apx. where the leak
is.
If it is dry, check to see which area is damp.
Or dribble a small stream of milk around and see where it disappears as opposed
to just staying in the water.
Hope that helps!

k30a

Old 29-09-2003, 07:42 PM
rtk

Is there any reason to suspect the waterfall is emptying in the wrong
place, behind instead of forward? Is there plenty of opening into the
pond? I speak from unhappy experience.

Ruth kazez

Old 29-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Don

I "thought" my new pond was leaking when we had so much rain. I still don't
know what was happening but the water level would drop after significant
rainfall. I think the ground water was actually pushing water out of the
pond underneath the liner.

If you can't find a leak, check the waterfall and other obvious sources,
then fill it back up and see what happens. My water level was fine until
the next big rain.

Old 29-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Gregory Young

Hi:
Here are the steps you should follow:
1) Fill pond back to normal level, shutting down the pumps (thereby the
falls streams, etc)
If the pond water level doesn't drop in the next few days, your leak is in
the stream, falls, pipe connections etc. This is the most likely area,
especially with a xavan liner!
2) If the pond water level continues to drop, let it drop until it
stabilizes, then ADD BACK 1/4 inch of water. Then go around the pond's
perimeter, adding a drop of milk, watching to see if it is drawn into the
leak. If no movement is seen, continue in like fashion around the perimeter
of the pond, placing onedrop at a time, and waiting a bit to see if the milk
is drawn down into the leak.
If you find a leak, don't stop, but continue with the milk "drops", until
you have the whole periphery of the pond tested. The rationale is that there
may be more than one leak!
Let us know how you make out.
My vote (experience) tells me your problem is most likely to be found in the
falls, stream, etc areas, unless the xavan was really not installed
correctly. Xavan is much more resistant to tears, punctures, etc, when
compared to EPDM, or PVC liners.
BTW, there is no product that you can safely add to the pond's water to seal
the leak. That works (somewhat) for pressurized tires or radiators, but not
pond liners. That's too bad... it would certainly make life easier!!
Happy ponding,
Greg

To reply directly to me remove
"koi" from my email address

Old 30-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

Your waterfall/stream area is the first place to look for a leak - and
you've been given good instructions to confirm/eliminate that possibility.
So far no one has mentioned another "good" (meaning bad!) possibility: do
you have through-the-liner bottom drains installed? For your sake, I hope
you find it in the waterfall area - it's much easier to fix! Good luck.

Lee

Old 01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"JLu3140998" wrote in message
hi everyone
i have a new 33x33 pond with xavan pond liner
filled with water, and have a leak
cannot find leak- is there a product that can be added to water
that will repair leak
fish not added yet- can remove plants to repair if necessary
pond draining fast and water is very expensive here
help please!!!!!!!

Ugh. I know how you feel. We put a stream in this year to solve another
problem. Now we lose about 4 inches a week. I have yet to find the leak, but
I am pretty sure it is in the stream. On the brighter side, we're now doing
water changes!

BV.

Old 01-10-2003, 04:22 PM
D Kat

If the leak is on the bottom then bentonite clay is safe and might work.
Also if you find the leak on the edge there are liner patches that are
easily applied and that will work (I'm assuming though that your reference
is to something to pour into the water and have it seal up the hole... in
which case bentonite is the only thing I know of and it will only work where
it is going to settle - bottom) DK

Old 02-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Gregory Young

Bentonite clay will not work in a shallow liner based pond (ie one that is
only a couple of feet in depth).
It requires either more depth (pressure), or a clay soil base to seal
adequately.
If the liner in an ornamental pond has a leak, it should be properly
patched.
With the xavan liner the writer described my money is still on the
stream/falls, etc.

"D Kat" wrote in message
[...]

Pond Pump loses its prime in an hour.. each time? see end. I did see a leak in the seal but why Neil Ponds 0 20-04-2004 08:07 PM
Possible Pond Leak pixi Ponds 2 20-04-2004 07:06 PM
Pre Formed Pond Leak Judi9000 Ponds 4 22-01-2004 04:20 PM
leak in concrete pond - a little help? Big Bill Ponds 6 06-08-2003 07:22 PM
Leak in pond PSupez Ponds 2 27-07-2003 03:22 PM