Old 04-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Axolotl

Default Advice on using copper/brass pipe work in filter

Does anybody have anything to say on the subject of copper/brass fittings
when building your own bio/mechanical filter system?

I have just built a small filter system for my new pond (2600 gal), and
have studiously avoided using any metal fittings, but I am not very happy
with the impedance that the plastic fittings introduce into the water
flow. In addition the range of fittings available in plastic is not as
great as that available in brass.

Everything I have read here to date seems to indicate that I should avoid
using metal in fishponds.

Any advice would be most welcome.
ANO

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Iain Miller

"Axolotl" wrote in message
30...
Does anybody have anything to say on the subject of copper/brass fittings
when building your own bio/mechanical filter system?

I have just built a small filter system for my new pond (2600 gal), and
have studiously avoided using any metal fittings, but I am not very happy
with the impedance that the plastic fittings introduce into the water
flow. In addition the range of fittings available in plastic is not as
great as that available in brass.

Everything I have read here to date seems to indicate that I should avoid
using metal in fishponds.

Everything you've read is right - avoid all metals (Copper and Brass
especially)

I.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
RichToyBox

Copper is rather reactive and the copper ion once in the water is highly
toxic to the fish. Anyone that has done plumbing where copper and iron
pipes come together, know that the reaction will cause corrosion. You can
put brass fittings between the two and stop the corrosion. Brass is more
stable because of the nickel, tin, or other alloying elements in it. It is
still high in copper, and may corrode over time, but it is much less likely
to create problems like the plain copper pipe.
--
RichToyBox

30...

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Hank

Plastic PIPE fittings offer much less resistance than threaded metal
pipes. Tubing on the other hand is restricted by the barb fittings.
Copper and brass sulfate and is toxic in high levels. If you need a
lot of bends use two 45s instead of one 90 degree elbow, it will
restrict less flow. Or go to a larger pipe for longer runs even if you
have to reduce again to connect.
PVC is the cheapest and least reactive way to go and use ball
valves for best flow.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

"Iain Miller" wrote in message

30...

Old 05-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Lee Brouillet

I used "sweeps" instead of right angles to avoid "impedance" problems.
They're supposedly for sewage plumbing and not for "high" pressure, but the
pressure in our water lines don't exceed the limits. Just make sure that
they're primed and glued. For a couple of squirrely twists, I used flexible
pipe (which really isn't all THAT flexible, but better than regular pipe).
If you heat it up with hot water, it will bend a little easier.

NO METAL PIPING. So far, everyone has mentioned corrosion problems but the
biggest deterent *I* see is in meds: you'll poison your fish with the
interreactions.

Lee

30...

Old 05-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Joan Swinkels

PVC pipe can be bent to form nice long bends. There is a good article at:
http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/pvc.html on the technique. I used the
kitchen oven (with the vent fan runing), set to 275 to heat some pieces that
I made for my filter.

-- Mark

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
I used "sweeps" instead of right angles to avoid "impedance" problems.
They're supposedly for sewage plumbing and not for "high" pressure, but

the
pressure in our water lines don't exceed the limits. Just make sure that
they're primed and glued. For a couple of squirrely twists, I used

flexible
pipe (which really isn't all THAT flexible, but better than regular pipe).
If you heat it up with hot water, it will bend a little easier.

NO METAL PIPING. So far, everyone has mentioned corrosion problems but the
biggest deterent *I* see is in meds: you'll poison your fish with the
interreactions.

Lee

"Axolotl" wrote in message
30...
Does anybody have anything to say on the subject of copper/brass

fittings
when building your own bio/mechanical filter system?

I have just built a small filter system for my new pond (2600 gal), and
have studiously avoided using any metal fittings, but I am not very

happy
with the impedance that the plastic fittings introduce into the water
flow. In addition the range of fittings available in plastic is not as
great as that available in brass.

Everything I have read here to date seems to indicate that I should

avoid
using metal in fishponds.

Any advice would be most welcome.
ANO

Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (andmissing o-rings) Danny D.[_5_] Gardening 20 28-06-2013 03:44 AM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
fuel coming from exhaust pipe & air filter GFRfan Lawns 13 11-09-2004 09:21 PM
What pipe size are you using? Sam Hopkins Ponds 9 28-08-2003 08:22 PM
ISO: Hose reel with brass fittings David Gibbs Lawns 3 28-07-2003 06:02 PM