Old 25-06-2013, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (andmissing o-rings)

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:44:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

Source:

Regarding sourcing the 4" brass nozzles and brass valves ...

Q: Does anyone know of a better 4-inch brass hose nozzle or a better price?

Here's my quick nozzle summary, for others to benefit from, of the
three types I bought from local box stores and tested this week:

ACE Hardwa $6.49
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=145559371
BEST: Always shuts off, easily taken apart for cleaning, has 2 o-rings,
knurled knobs are easy to spin off, even when wet.

Home Depot: $7.67
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-i...7928/100659304
GOOD: Always shuts off, I can't seem to get it apart, has rubber knobs which
are slippery when wet and which get damaged easily when using wrenches
to undo tight connections.

Harbor Freight: $3 (regularly $5):
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...zle-31811.html
CRAPPY: Often leaks when shut off, only one o-ring, easily comes apart,
knurling on the knobs is not cross hatched so it's hard to unscrew
from the garden hose when wet, the gasket fits way too loosely so it
can be easily lost, spray is not a clean stream at the strongest
settings - but otherwise OK.

Of these three, I recommend the ACE Hardware 4 inch brass nozzle.
If you know of a better nozzle, or, of a better price, let me know.

Old 25-06-2013, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
[...]

Most people use trigger nozzles now.(water restrictions)
Old 25-06-2013, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

.... made in U.S.A.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...280,33160&ap=3

you're welcome :-)
John T.

Old 25-06-2013, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:09:12 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

Most people use trigger nozzles now.(water restrictions)

The wife used those trigger-style nozzles and hated them.
Her main problem, she said, was they are difficult to set at
a certain stream, and then just leave it there (she often
walks away from the hose as it slowly waters plants).

So, we threw away all our trigger ones (even those very
expensive sets from Costco which had quick connects - which
turned out, for us, to be a waste of money).

Old 26-06-2013, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:36:50 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:09:12 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

Most people use trigger nozzles now.(water restrictions)

The wife used those trigger-style nozzles and hated them.
Her main problem, she said, was they are difficult to set at
a certain stream, and then just leave it there (she often
walks away from the hose as it slowly waters plants).

So, we threw away all our trigger ones (even those very
expensive sets from Costco which had quick connects - which
turned out, for us, to be a waste of money).

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made:
http://www.sears.com/ray-padula-meta...7&blockType=G7
http://www.kmart.com/ray-padula-meta...W028221300001P

Old 26-06-2013, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:09:12 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

Most people use trigger nozzles now.(water restrictions)

The wife used those trigger-style nozzles and hated them.
Her main problem, she said, was they are difficult to set at
a certain stream, and then just leave it there (she often
walks away from the hose as it slowly waters plants).

So, we threw away all our trigger ones (even those very
expensive sets from Costco which had quick connects - which
turned out, for us, to be a waste of money).

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made:
http://www.sears.com/ray-padula-meta...7&blockType=G7
http://www.kmart.com/ray-padula-meta...W028221300001P

I have that or one like it. Trouble is, it wants to go full on. I still
prefer brass nozzle.
I like where I can open it up and it forms big drips, very low stream power
for watering plants.

Greg
Old 26-06-2013, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1
wrote:

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made:
http://www.sears.com/ray-padula-meta...7&blockType=G7
http://www.kmart.com/ray-padula-meta...W028221300001P

Are you 100% absolutely certain?!

We need more information.
Old 26-06-2013, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made:

Are you allowed to carry them concealed in California?

Old 26-06-2013, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:28:31 -0700, Oren wrote:

Are you 100% absolutely certain?!
We need more information

By the way, I went to ACE today and picked up "their" rendition of
the almost 100% brass garden hose shutoff valve:

Like the Home Depot garden hose valve, it had a black
material where you'd rather have brass; but, for the
extra dollar, it had a "two finger" shutoff valve, instead
of the one-finger shut off valve of the Home Depot variety.

Presumably you can apply more force to this shutoff valve
when it starts to get sticky ...

Old 26-06-2013, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made:

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle,
at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring
model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than
did the Chinese knockoff.

Just saying ...

Old 26-06-2013, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/25/2013 11:59 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made:

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle,
at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring
model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than
did the Chinese knockoff.

Just saying ...

Yea, but you can arm more people cheaply. If you have 1,000 folks armed
with the high quality assault nozzles going up against 100,000,000
people armed with cheap low quality assault nozzles, it's no contest.
The Germans learned this hard lesson in tank battles during WWII. ^_^

TDD
Old 26-06-2013, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 04:52:22 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

By the way, I went to ACE today and picked up "their" rendition of
the almost 100% brass garden hose shutoff valve:

Like the Home Depot garden hose valve, it had a black
material where you'd rather have brass; but, for the
extra dollar, it had a "two finger" shutoff valve, instead
of the one-finger shut off valve of the Home Depot variety.

Presumably you can apply more force to this shutoff valve
when it starts to get sticky ...

You can get replacement handles that are longer. If you pull the new
handle off and look at the end of the stem so you can match it.
Old 27-06-2013, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Is anything effective legal in CA? I doubt it.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Old 27-06-2013, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

snips

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle,
at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring
model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than
did the Chinese knockoff.

Just saying ...

Yea, but you can arm more people cheaply. If you have 1,000 folks armed
with the high quality assault nozzles going up against 100,000,000
people armed with cheap low quality assault nozzles, it's no contest.
The Germans learned this hard lesson in tank battles during WWII. ^_^
TDD

I don't think that WW 2 is a factor in this thread .. ?
.... only the most modern German tanks actually
spray water at people.
:-)
John T.

Old 27-06-2013, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Thanks for the field test. I guess the chinky junky does make a (not good) difference.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Danny D." wrote in message news On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made:

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle,
at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring
model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than
did the Chinese knockoff.

Just saying ...

[IMG] code is On

Hago 4023 nozzles? Nancy G. Orchids 0 28-10-2007 07:50 PM
Exterior Floodlights & daylight switches Rod Out back Australia 12 16-10-2004 02:51 AM
ISO: Hose reel with brass fittings David Gibbs Lawns 3 28-07-2003 06:02 PM
ISO: Hose reel with brass fittings David Gibbs Gardening 4 28-07-2003 06:02 PM
low pressure mist/fog nozzles P. J. Bloodworth Orchids 3 10-03-2003 12:57 AM