Old 20-08-2003, 08:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default do I need a bottom drain?

Ok, I guess bottom drain it is.

WooHoo! ;o)

Here's another drain-like question: I was thinking I'd put some overflow
pipes To keep the mosquito fish from being sucked out through
the overflow pipes I thought I'd cover the openings with some kind of mesh
screen or fabric. Lydia

As already mentioned, check out Greg's Pipe Boot, tis what I used for my
skimmer portion. For an overflow go thru the side and use an elbow and
perhaps a length of pipe (if needed) to the surface of the high point as
you described. Rather than screen it, I suggest have it empty into a barrel
somewhere away from the pond. That way if you need to cut the minnow
numbers, easy way to catch, but mostly without a screen it won't clog and
you could use it to skim the surface, yet save any fish that get sucked in.
The barrel could have a sump pump to pump the water off to anywhere the
garden needed extra water if it got too full.

Regarding my skimmer, you might want to check out the piping design we put
under the liner for my bottom drain with a skimmer that feeds into same
pipe. Bottom drains a must, but skimmer are very nice too. ~ jan

Click on *My Lily Pond*
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a