Old 24-08-2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default want / need to install Pond bottom drain and Skimmer.

Hello all,

Like the subject says I would like to install a bottom drain and a
skimmer. What I'm having a problem with is paying so much for such
simple devices. I think they are quite over priced.
I'm wondering if anyone has used something from Lowes / Home Depot or
what makes a little more since to me is using parts for a pool.
if you can pont me to some DYI website of this stuff I would
appreciate it.

BTW my pond is not very big. It's about 5' wide X 4' long X 30" deep
While I have it all pulled apart to do this I'm going to dig it
deeper.
I have a few Pics of it up on http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.holub

Cheers,
Chris
Phoenix AZ

Old 24-08-2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 06:21:00 CST, Dude wrote:

Like the subject says I would like to install a bottom drain and a
skimmer. What I'm having a problem with is paying so much for such
simple devices. I think they are quite over priced.

Want cheap on a bottom drain? Using EPDM liner, simply cut the hole
1" smaller than the pipe and shove the pipe through from the bottom,
leaving a lip on the water side to press against the pipe. Some have
tried a clamp around the lip, but it isn't necessary.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 26-08-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Look at the 4 inch bottom drain at
http://www.koivillage.com/pond_acces..._skimmers.html. It
seems to be reasonably priced.

--
RichToyBox
Zone 7A/B Virginia
oups.com...

Old 27-08-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 06:21:00 CST, Dude wrote:

Like the subject says I would like to install a bottom drain and a
skimmer. What I'm having a problem with is paying so much for such
simple devices. I think they are quite over priced.
I'm wondering if anyone has used something from Lowes / Home Depot or
what makes a little more since to me is using parts for a pool.
if you can pont me to some DYI website of this stuff I would
appreciate it.

BTW my pond is not very big. It's about 5' wide X 4' long X 30" deep
While I have it all pulled apart to do this I'm going to dig it
deeper.
I have a few Pics of it up on http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.holub

Cheers,
Chris
Phoenix AZ

Hi Chris,

There use to be a great DYI website at
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm

But he had so many things, he decided to go into business and put them on a
CD and sell it for a small price (well worth it). You might want to
purchase it, the website explains some of the stuff that is on the CD, from
bottom drains, skimmers, my favorite the pipe boot similar to what Hal
explained. We used donut holes of liner over the pipe, clamped and another
donut liner to cover the clamp. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-08-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Dude wrote:

Like the subject says I would like to install a bottom drain and a
skimmer. What I'm having a problem with is paying so much for such
simple devices. I think they are quite over priced.

BTW my pond is not very big. It's about 5' wide X 4' long X 30" deep
While I have it all pulled apart to do this I'm going to dig it
deeper.
I have a few Pics of it up on http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.holub

Cheers,
Chris
Phoenix AZ

I live in Tempe and planning to convert my pool into a pond. Did you
DIY or have a contractor do it? How do your fish handle the heat?

Chip

Old 31-08-2007, 12:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 27, 11:31 am, ~ jan wrote:
[...]

Ponds:www.jjspond.us- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Jan,
I acctually did find this site a few weeks back. He does do a good job
of explaining some stuff. I hope to incorporate some of it as soon as
it cools off enough here to start the deconstruction and rebuilding.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 31-08-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 29, 4:41 pm, Chip wrote:
Dude wrote:
Like the subject says I would like to install a bottom drain and a
skimmer. What I'm having a problem with is paying so much for such
simple devices. I think they are quite over priced.
BTW my pond is not very big. It's about 5' wide X 4' long X 30" deep
While I have it all pulled apart to do this I'm going to dig it
deeper.
I have a few Pics of it up onhttp://picasaweb.google.com/chris.holub

Cheers,
Chris
Phoenix AZ

I live in Tempe and planning to convert my pool into a pond. Did you
DIY or have a contractor do it? How do your fish handle the heat?

Chip

Hey Chip,
Well when I first moved into the house the Pnd was there, except it
was only the size of a 50 Gal drum laid on its side. I loved it and
decided to take it all apart and keep digging to what you see today in
the pics. I think its now about 300 - 400 Gal. So far what you see is
what I have figured out on my own and with the advise of others.
Im amazed but the water temps get to 90F and the fish survive. If your
going to convert your pool then the temps should be much better.
Good Luck,
Chris

Old 01-09-2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:41:38 CST, Chip wrote:

I live in Tempe and planning to convert my pool into a pond. Did you
DIY or have a contractor do it? How do your fish handle the heat?
Chip

If you haven't, check out this website on pool to pond conversion:
http://kilk.com/pond/ ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:41:38 CST, Chip wrote:

I live in Tempe and planning to convert my pool into a pond. Did you
DIY or have a contractor do it? How do your fish handle the heat?
Chip

If you haven't, check out this website on pool to pond conversion:
http://kilk.com/pond/ ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Thanks Jan. I took many interesting ideas from this project the last
time you recommended it. My own conversion is on hold because of the
blasted heat. A full month of over 110F. Nuts. I can't drain the
pool to start construction because the heat could crack the cement w/o
water. So I gather info and keep planning. Maybe by Oct the weather
will abate and I can actually get something done.

Chip

Old 01-09-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 11:21:21 CST, Chip wrote:

Thanks Jan. I took many interesting ideas from this project the last
time you recommended it. My own conversion is on hold because of the
blasted heat. A full month of over 110F. Nuts. I can't drain the
pool to start construction because the heat could crack the cement w/o
water. So I gather info and keep planning. Maybe by Oct the weather
will abate and I can actually get something done.

Chip

Oh, you're down in that area of the country. I am so feeling for you.

July was our amazingly hot month, usually it is August. It was miserable
and to worry that August might be the same... thankfully it was not. At
least this late into summer, if we do have a hot day, it at least cools
down to comfortable by sunset, and windows open soon after.

Hoping some cool weather comes your way soon. Winters aren't too bad down
there though, correct? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: