Old 16-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Thenewguy

Default Filter

hey, i have some questions about filtration. Please check out
Http://www.thehvscene.com/pond.htm first of all to see my pond and how my
filter is set up. its 2 1/4 horse power pumps pouring into a 2 gallon hole
which feeds the waterfall....directly before the waterfall theres a thick
peice of material to catch any particles..is suffient enough for my pond? i
have a 13x12x2feet deep. The water seems to be very brown/green with alot of
brown (maybe dead) algea floating in pieces at the top of the water. Is my
waterfall creating too much of a disturbance in the water? Am i not
circulating enough water? should i construct a new kind of filter? what ever
it is, im up for it. Please Help Me.

Old 17-08-2003, 07:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

More filtration, waterfall is fine. See mine under *My Filter* ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 17-08-2003, 02:22 PM
RichToyBox

I agree with Jan, that you need more filtration. Are the two pumps external
or submersible? Is there a way to attach a skimmer, even the no-niche
skimmer, and a bottom drain? The floating pieces tend to come to the top
during the day to absorb more sunlight, and the skimmer will help remove
them, and the sink at night when there is no sunlight, and the bottom drain
would collect them. Once collected, there needs to be some form of filter
system to contain them, or they will just go
--
RichToyBox

for a ride in the country before returning to the pond.

Old 17-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Thenewguy

i have 2 submersible pumps, both are about 1.5feet down, where as the pond
is 2 feet deep. Im going to start the 24/7 pump running today, hope it
helps, and does anyone have a way for me to build a bio filter or w/e they
are, any other ways for me to filter my water

Old 17-08-2003, 07:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:23:02 GMT, "Thenewguy" wrote:

i have 2 submersible pumps, both are about 1.5feet down, where as the pond
is 2 feet deep. Im going to start the 24/7 pump running today, hope it
helps, and does anyone have a way for me to build a bio filter or w/e they
are, any other ways for me to filter my water

Well you could put the pumps in baskets with some type of media, but
personally, and if it is possible, I'd get the pumps out of the pond and
into a filter outside the pond, similar to mine. ~ jan

For filter design & parts click on *My Filter* *Demon Pond Filter*:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 18-08-2003, 02:50 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Ditto the other commentators who recommend more filtration.

You have something like 2300 gallons of pond water and 2 gallons in the
filter. Could you put in a veggie filter? The 'rule of thumb' is at least
10% of your present surface area. That would be about 16 sq ft of filter
surface...4 x 4 or more (Think 4 x 8 and have a small fry pond!). With lots
of plants to suck nutrients out and to provide biological surface.

Do your pads get very full, very fast? We run a slow flow through three
sequential sedimentation/veggie filter ponds. The flow takes about 35
minutes to clear the first. It is a 4 x 4 x 1.5 (180 gal) filled with
anacharis. You can see me building it on our website (right filter). I
used 2" x 10" x 8' boards and a roofing EDPM liner. You could stick one
where your falls are.

The two round VF's catch lots less junk...tho' the third is full of water
celery, whose thick roots grab everything. The slow flow clears the water
from the main pond very well. Our pump moves about 1500 gal/hr. Most of
our water flows through the other filter/falls.

Most of the pond junk drops out in our first (4 x 4) filter. We don't use
any pads and thus never have to wash them out. We run the drain once a
year, just before the new season. LOTS of muck flushes out. Actually, we
flush all our VF ponds and our 3 in-berm upflow 55 gal drums that feed the
VF ponds (4 x 4, two 5' kiddie pools and a 4 x 8 x 1.5) and get muck from
all of them, especially the VF's that are first in line from the pond.

Let us know what you decide.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 18-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Karen Mullen

In article m, ~ jan
JJsPond.us writes:

I'd get the pumps out of the pond and
into a filter outside the pond, similar to mine. ~ jan

why is that Jan, pump protection?

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH