Old 18-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Gail Futoran

Default tadpoles - again

Well, here I was sad because most of my tadpoles were gone -
all grown up and hopped out (toads). Then a few days ago
when I was checking the pond there was another gadzillion of
the little suckers! Clearly momma toad is not yet finished
reproducing for the year.

I love watching them but they're all over the place and I
can't pull out the string algae. Well, I can but I end up
killing teensy tadpoles. As long as most of the pond
remains clear enough for the fish (minnows) to swim around,
I won't worry about it. Otherwise I pick out little strings
of string algae, very carefully sorting through and dumping
back into the pond any teensy tadpoles I spot.

Some people have real lives...

Gail
northeast of San Antonio TX

Old 18-08-2003, 03:12 PM
D Kat

Really! Who? DK
"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Some people have real lives...

Gail
northeast of San Antonio TX

Old 18-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Matrix

Tadpoles are almost a thing of the past for me. There can be up to 7
pairs of toads producing eggs at once and my koi will be eagerly waiting
for the toad "caviar" to be freshly made and will consume it in record
time.

I don't mind as it will keep a toad population down around my pond.
I have not seen a string of eggs in a long while.

Btw I am in Corpus Christi ;-)

Old 20-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Gail Futoran

"Matrix" wrote in message

t...
Tadpoles are almost a thing of the past for me. There can

be up to 7
pairs of toads producing eggs at once and my koi will be

eagerly waiting
for the toad "caviar" to be freshly made and will consume

it in record
time.

I don't mind as it will keep a toad population down around

my pond.
I have not seen a string of eggs in a long while.

Btw I am in Corpus Christi ;-)

Howdy neighbor!

The pond that has tadpoles was made specifically for
wildlife, i.e., not koi or goldfish. I do have minnows in
there to deal with mosquito larvae, but I think the
dragonflies do that, too. Mostly I wanted to see if I could
get toads & frogs.

Gail