Old 27-08-2003, 07:22 PM
The Suttons

Default Keeping the pond bottom clean/winter frogs

I keep the bottom of my pond as clean as I can. Last year all of my frogs
froze because there wasn't enough muck to bury in. What do I do about that?
What should I put in the bottom to help them make it through the winter? I
have a 125 gallon preform with airstones running in the winter and the fish
have overwintered fine for the last four years.

Thanks,
Anne

Old 27-08-2003, 07:32 PM

there is nothing you can do about the frogs freezing in a shallow pond except move em
out. if you are in warmer areas and the pond doesnt freeze shut, you could put tubs
of dirt in there. Ingrid

"The Suttons" wrote:

I keep the bottom of my pond as clean as I can. Last year all of my frogs
froze because there wasn't enough muck to bury in. What do I do about that?
What should I put in the bottom to help them make it through the winter? I
have a 125 gallon preform with airstones running in the winter and the fish
have overwintered fine for the last four years.

Thanks,
Anne

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 28-08-2003, 04:05 AM
AngrieWoman

I'm worried about my frogs too. I am thinking that I will just save a bucket
of muck and put it back in the water for the frogs. My pond is about 3' deep
though, so I do not think they will need to worry about becoming frogsicles.

I am trying to figure out how to net the pond, because my leaves are
starting to fall a little now. It is still warm, so I can't just cover the
pond up and trap the froggies in.

Old 28-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

Can you build a little PVC frame across your pond? I find electrical zip
ties are really handy to secure the net to the frame. Then you could elevate
it 6 inches or so off the ground (on blocks or rocks), which would leave
room for the froggies, but would put a pretty decent damper on leaf
intrusion.

Lee

hlink.net...