Old 11-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Mark Bannister

Default New pond keeping the bottom clean

We are installing a new pond that is block, lined with granite tile.
The pump as two "ins" into the pond. One in the veggie filter and one in
the main pond area. Because the pond bottom is granite tile and there
is a bottom drain I was thinking have using the inlet to the main area
to sweep the bottom and push debris toward the drain. To do that I was
going to take a pipe and put holes in it and lay it horizontal at the
bottom edge.
Is there a problem with water entering at the very bottom of the pond
(3' deep)?
Is there a problem stirring up the muck, or would it be better to let it
sit there?
Thanks,
Mark B.

Old 11-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Ka30P

Hi Mark,

I don't think I'd let water enter at the very bottom of the pond. There is
stuff down there you don't want to stir up. Better just to take a wide, flat,
long handled brush and gently push the muck to the bottom drain.
Sounds like an interesting project!

Is there a problem with water entering at the very bottom of the pond

(3' deep)?
Is there a problem stirring up the muck, or would it be better to let it
sit there?
kathy :-)
Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mark Bannister" wrote in message
We are installing a new pond that is block, lined with granite tile.
The pump as two "ins" into the pond. One in the veggie filter and one in
the main pond area. Because the pond bottom is granite tile and there
is a bottom drain I was thinking have using the inlet to the main area
to sweep the bottom and push debris toward the drain. To do that I was
going to take a pipe and put holes in it and lay it horizontal at the
bottom edge.
Is there a problem with water entering at the very bottom of the pond
(3' deep)?
Is there a problem stirring up the muck, or would it be better to let it
sit there?

With a BD, a majority of your much should get pulled in, assuming you have a
proper diffuser installed. My BD still does not have a diffuser (mental
note, install diffuser this year) so my muck is not efficiently sucked. I
would bet constantly stirring the bottom would yield nothing but murky
water.

BV.