Old 29-08-2003, 11:02 PM
John Burton

Default Help! Lime Green Water

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

1. More filtration or
2. Addition of filtering plants like water hyacinth or water lettuce.

The algae is thriving because of the high amount of nutrients. Killing the
algae, just makes more food for the algae. You need a plant to out-compete
the algae.

Any other "tricks" other than plopping in water hyacinth or water lettuce.
I hear that both are so agressive that they tend to "take over" the top of
the falls or where ever they're planted.

One suggestion I heard (and would like a bit of feedback) is to put them in
a PVC "square". That is, build a ring around the rosie ...

Whaddya think?

--==jb==--

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

Old 29-08-2003, 11:22 PM
jammer

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:43:50 -0400, "John Burton"
wrote:

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

1. More filtration or
2. Addition of filtering plants like water hyacinth or water lettuce.

The algae is thriving because of the high amount of nutrients. Killing the
algae, just makes more food for the algae. You need a plant to out-compete
the algae.

Any other "tricks" other than plopping in water hyacinth or water lettuce.
I hear that both are so agressive that they tend to "take over" the top of
the falls or where ever they're planted.

One suggestion I heard (and would like a bit of feedback) is to put them in
a PVC "square". That is, build a ring around the rosie ...

Whaddya think?

WH do multiply over the warm months, but they filter so well, i just
remove excess plants and let them dry out/die in the grass. The roots
are amazing and look like feathers.

--==jb==--

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Old 30-08-2003, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

jb,

I use a hula hoop, and I have made something similar, where I needed one
much larger, using poly tubing and a dowel of appropriate size to make it
into a loop. Works great, most of the time. Large koi will play with the
plants and sometimes bring them out of the loop, but they need to be thinned
anyhow, so send the errant ones to the compost pile.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Karen Mullen

yes WH/WL can be aggressive growers, but if you have koi they'll eat the roots
off, goldfish do too but not as much as koi. I put them in the top of my
biofilter and rotate them with the ones in the pond to give the roots a chance
to regrow. When they start overtaking, I remove some of the older larger ones
to the compost heap.
Karen

In article , "John Burton"
writes:

Any other "tricks" other than plopping in water hyacinth or water lettuce.
I hear that both are so agressive that they tend to "take over" the top of
the falls or where ever they're planted.

One suggestion I heard (and would like a bit of feedback) is to put them in
a PVC "square". That is, build a ring around the rosie ...

Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at