Old 30-08-2003, 12:02 PM
David Modine

Default Any going to Lilypons in Frederick MD

this weekend for their Koi & Wine Festival?

DC area weather outlook is not great for the long weekend, so I'm thinking
of heading up that way this morning before it gets oppressively hot or
rainy.

David

Old 31-08-2003, 03:32 AM
FBCS

Hi David,
I went and picked up 3 3-4 " butterfly that I did not need to add to my
population explosion. Just could not resist. I don't know maybe I saw you
there. Joann

Old 31-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Ralph

Hi David and Joann. We dropped my daughter off at Hood College in Frederick
last weekend and I read about the festival and the grounds. It sounds like
quite a place, unfortunately we did not have time to visit it. I am planning
a trip down to Frederick around Mid October, is this a place we should make
an effort to go to, even without the festival.. We are from the Rochester,
NY area. I am new to ponds put in a smaller preform (150 gal) about 10
weeks ago. Have 7 feeder goldfish that are doing well. Went through the
cloudy and pea soup water situations and now the water is nice and clear, I
can even see a couple of small stones that I used to weight down the
submerged plants. Ralph

Old 31-08-2003, 10:22 PM
FBCS

I enjoy stopping by while in the area. They have some ponds set up and many
bog areas with lillies, lotus and bog plants. I purchased 3 butterfly
earlier this year from them and they are doing great. They are twice the
size they were when purchased. I did pick up more butterfly when I was there
(I have a hole in my head) and 8 plants. The weather was touch and go. They
also sell some products, as for fish they have different sized Koi,
Butterfly Koi, GF, oh yea and they had some Israeli Koi. I talked to a guy
there, I thinks he runs the place, he said they do quarantine the fish when
they come in. I didn't take a chance and quarantined these even though they
looked fine.

I learned my lesson. I never quarantined the new guys before. After buying
some from a show, ( hearing in the back of my mind everyone on this group
yelling at me if I didn't) I quarantined them only for then to die the next
day, they were sick babies and would have caused a disaster in the pond.

I'm pleased you have clear water I believe I will see it one day. Joann

Old 04-09-2003, 02:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:12:54 GMT, "FBCS" wrote:

he said they do quarantine the fish when they come in.
I didn't take a chance and quarantined these even though they
looked fine.

You did the right thing. )

Regardless if the store quarantines or not, the ponder still should do
their own and do a canary koi after a couple of weeks in the Q-tank with
the new fish. Any fish being transported is stressed, and therefore prone
to problems. Get them home, calm them down, get them use to your water
conditions and make sure they are eating well and looking good, put a buddy
from your pond in with them. Make sure neither fish gets sick from that
relationship..... Time: 6 weeks, with water temps in the 70s during part of
that time. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 04-09-2003, 02:42 AM
Nedra

This Quarantining thing alone has kept me from buying
any more Koi. Last I bought was 4 years ago and I didn't do a thing but get
them used to the water in the bags. Fortunately mine spawned a couple of
years ago and I now have 4 of their kids - they are
beautiful! Total of 14 Koi... perfect for my 3,000
gallon pond.

Nedra

s.com...

Old 04-09-2003, 07:42 PM
FBCS

Thanks Jan,
They are doing great and I will do as you suggest. I actually like being
able to keep a closer eye on them even though it is more work. Joann

Old 04-09-2003, 07:42 PM
FBCS

I am still in the addiction mode - I gotta have that one and that one fix. I
am enlarging as a result. Joann
news