Old 03-09-2003, 06:22 PM
old dirtbeard

Default filter recommendations?

I'm sure this gets tossed around every week, but
in searching back posts, I could not find much on
specific recommendations.

I have a 750 gallon pond in Los Angeles, two 16"
Koi, an 8" Comet and some minnows.

It is an established pond (5 years or so) with
very good vegetation.

I would like to get an external filter to replace
my cheap immersed filter. My current pump has a
350 gal/hr rating.

I have browsed the various sites, and there is a
huge range/variety of filters out there from which
to choose. I would like your recommendations,
advice or experiences with different brands or
models.

Currently I am looking at:

o Aquapur 18 @$199 (pressurized)

o Medium Fish Mate Bio Pond Filter @$120

o Laguna PowerFlo 4500 External Filter @$90

o Clear Stream 1200 @$120 (pressurized)

but would consider any other brands or models.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly
appreciated. I will spend more if the additional
cost is warranted.

best,

doug

Old 03-09-2003, 06:42 PM
old dirtbeard

Sorry for the addendum. I measured the Koi, and
they are 12" and 10" long, not 16" as I
erroneously indicated in the previous post--sorry.

doug

Old 04-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Gene

Ever thought about building a filter. You could make
a good size filter pretty cheap. Some people in this group
have plans for filters on thier webpages. I'm sure
they would be nice to post links to these filter plans.

Old 04-09-2003, 05:23 AM
old dirtbeard

Ever thought about building a filter. You could make
a good size filter pretty cheap. Some people in this group
have plans for filters on thier webpages. I'm sure
they would be nice to post links to these filter plans.

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the suggestion, it is a good one. I
had planned for quite some time to build one, but
time is hard to come by right now, and I lost some
new fish that I put in the pond (the original ones
seem to be doing fine), but I just decided to
break the stalemate, buy a decent filter and get
it done as soon as possible.

Space around the pond is a little tight, so I
decided on a:

CE-13527 Clear Stream 1200

It is a pressurized unit that you can bury in the
ground up to the top lid (the inlet and outlet are
at the top). It would have almost 0 head, as a
result, and it will be very easy to create a
waterfall reentry into the pond from it as a result.

It should have more than adequate capacity for my
pond, but I will post a message about it once I
get it installed and have some appraisal of how
well it works.

Thank you again for your response -- I really had
planned on building one, but I think I just need
to get something into the pond quickly that I
think will work (it may have taken me another year
to actually build my own, sad to say).

Thanks again,

doug

Old 04-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Sue Walsh

old dirtbeard
I measured the Koi, and
they are 12" and 10" long, not 16"
doug

the classic old fish story comes to mind.....

Sue W

View my pond album "Rippling Waters" at
http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd