Old 12-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default What are these white cottony-like thingies on my plants....?

We had an extremely wet spring. And now a lot of plants in our garden
have this white, cotton-like fuzzy stuff on some of the stems and stem
axes. It reminds me of mealy bugs but I have only ever seen those
indoors before. Can anyone guess what we have please?

Old 12-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Phaedrine Stonebridge said:

We had an extremely wet spring. And now a lot of plants in our garden
have this white, cotton-like fuzzy stuff on some of the stems and stem
axes. It reminds me of mealy bugs but I have only ever seen those
indoors before. Can anyone guess what we have please?

Well, I hope these aren't fungus patches. Pythium rots will produce patches
of white fuzz, and has been reported at higher than usual rates this year, due
to the wet weather.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-07-2003, 09:44 PM

In Georgia we have mealy bugs outside. You can occasionally see them
as well as their telltale residue. Spraying with Safer's agricultural
soap has always worked for me but some swear by isopropyl alcohol.
Old 14-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Monique Reed

Here in Central Texas we had an "epidemic" this year of leaf hoppers
that cover themselves in white cottony material. A good squirt of a
solution of regular old soap will usually control them, though you may
have to repeat it. No need to buy special insecticidal soap.

Monique

Old 15-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

We had an extremely wet spring. And now a lot of plants in our garden
have this white, cotton-like fuzzy stuff on some of the stems and stem
axes. It reminds me of mealy bugs but I have only ever seen those
indoors before. Can anyone guess what we have please?

Here in Central Texas we had an "epidemic" this year of leaf hoppers
that cover themselves in white cottony material. A good squirt of a
solution of regular old soap will usually control them, though you may
have to repeat it. No need to buy special insecticidal soap.

Monique

OK thanks so much, Monique.

Phae

Tiny black worm type thingies on the rock in my water fall juliepacker Ponds 7 16-06-2004 03:04 AM
Plug thingies Titch United Kingdom 2 24-03-2004 05:50 PM
Plug thingies Titch United Kingdom 6 24-03-2004 05:26 PM
Plug thingies Titch United Kingdom 0 24-03-2004 05:23 PM
Plug thingies Titch United Kingdom 2 24-03-2004 05:22 PM