Old 11-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Lynn Strickland

Default Pond Building Question

I've seen two approaches:

A. Put down underlayment, liner - then fill the pond to settle the liner.
Drain the pond, then put in the rocks, gravel, etc.

B. Put down underlayment, liner, rocks and gravel - before filling the pond
for the first time.

Is plan B okay?

One other question . . . the 45 mil Firestone liner is supposed to last for
at least 20 years. How long have they been in use? Is it going to fall
apart at 20 years and one week, or will it likely last for 30 years? Does
anyone really know [I will have the liner completely covered by rock and/or
gravel]?

Are leaks inevitable, something I should plan on dealing with regularly, or
can I expect years of leak-free use?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2003, 09:02 PM
jon

Are you considering having fish ?
if you are the gravel and rocks will disapear under a layer much never to be
seen again and when you need to clean the pond out it will be a nightmare.
I did use method B'ish filling the pond to just below where rocks are
going then filling to just below next layer etc

Jon
ink.net...

Old 17-09-2003, 02:24 AM
ponder

I would go with plan a, the idea is for the liner to fill-in all spaces
itself, if you do plan b you are stretching the liner and can get rips.
Liners will last that long and longer. The other questions really can't be
answered because anything can happen

ink.net...