Old 18-09-2003, 12:35 PM
*muffin*

Default Oranda behavior

I brought my redcapped oranda inside for the winter..(this was the one I
thought was missing)

'her' behavior puzzles me. 'she' sits on the bottom of the aquarium most of
the time. 'she' will swim around every-now-&-then, & 'shedoes eat. but 'she'
is usually 'sitting'. 'she' is about 6" long.
does that species do this?
'she' was sitting in a lily basket a lot the past week.

we have other orandas I am going to bring inside, but I don't seem to see
them doing the same thing in the pond , that 'she' does.

ohhh btw.. we caught the Pl*co last night,, it was just sitting on the
shallow part of pond & was easy to net... ( I think the orandas will be
pretty easy , also , as they swim pretty slowwww) we were planning on
putting netting on the bottom area of where they come to feed, & then
'snatch' up the net when they were corralled,,,,,,,, but now there is no
need .

Old 21-09-2003, 12:03 AM
ponder

"she' should maybe have a salt dip.
Check out www.ponddoc.com

Old 21-09-2003, 12:39 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:13:36 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

I brought my redcapped oranda inside for the winter..(this was the one I
thought was missing)

'her' behavior puzzles me. 'she' sits on the bottom of the aquarium most of
the time. 'she' will swim around every-now-&-then, & 'shedoes eat. but 'she'
is usually 'sitting'. 'she' is about 6" long.
does that species do this?

What was the pH & temp difference between the tank & pond? If none and
after you add a companion fish she doesn't perk up, my guess is she "may"
have something wrong.

Personally I'd rather they sat on the bottom then float belly up like
orandas have a tendency to do. My 2 moors, while inside would sit side by
side in the tank every evening. Since I've had the male by himself in there
all summer, I've yet to see him do that. This fall I'm putting a male with
him and the 3 females another tank. I bet all 3 females will rest on the
bottom down and then. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-09-2003, 01:42 AM
*muffin*

she has company..
2 Pl*co's*
2 angel fish
one comet GF
& I just added my bubble eye , which I HAD to take out since the oranda
tormented it!! ( no problem IN the pond when they were together)
I *DID* read on the goldfish forum,, that 'some' Orandas do something weird,
which they call 'perching'.. like birds in plants... so I guess she is
normal,,

Old 21-09-2003, 05:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:12:55 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

& I just added my bubble eye , which I HAD to take out since the oranda
tormented it!! ( no problem IN the pond when they were together)

Sounds like "she" is a he who couldn't keep up in the pond and was
depressed. ;o)

Perching sounds as good an explanation as anything. I don't think tropical
fish can be considered companions, but the comet would be, perhaps it is
male too? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Strange behavior... SueAndHerZoo Ponds 34 20-03-2004 03:42 AM
Half dead? Oranda Question Jim Humphries Ponds 3 19-11-2003 01:32 AM
Strange Koi Behavior itten Ponds 13 17-05-2003 02:56 AM
Low cholesterol beef, humane handling"touch", behavior modifacation Michael sci.agriculture 11 26-04-2003 12:25 PM
tetra species behavior LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:15 AM