Old 21-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Bonnie

Default Update

Tomato plants in veggie filter grew well early
on, then were shadowed by the water celery and
disappeared. Today I was thinning the plants
and found one red tomato.
conclusion - tomatoes grow much better
in my soil than in my veggie filter.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 21-09-2003, 06:12 PM
K30a

Bonnie,
How did that one tomato taste?

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 22-09-2003, 12:05 AM
John Hines

Bonnie wrote:

Tomato plants in veggie filter grew well early
on, then were shadowed by the water celery and
disappeared. Today I was thinning the plants
and found one red tomato.
conclusion - tomatoes grow much better
in my soil than in my veggie filter.

You need to tie up the vines so they don't hang in the water. Tomatoes
grow very well in a hydroponic setup.
Old 22-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Bonnie

K30a wrote:
Bonnie,
How did that one tomato taste?

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

It tasted like more!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Bonnie

John Hines wrote:

You need to tie up the vines so they don't hang in the water. Tomatoes
grow very well in a hydroponic setup.

Thanks for the info John. If I try this again next year
I'll follow your advice.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Bonnie

Old 22-09-2003, 04:02 PM
dt

Bonnie wrote:

John Hines wrote:

You need to tie up the vines so they don't hang in the water. Tomatoes
grow very well in a hydroponic setup.

Thanks for the info John. If I try this again next year
I'll follow your advice.

Thanks for posting, Bonnie. I'd been wondering if anybody was trying to
grow edible (by humans) plants in their filter.

Anybody else? Watercress, maybe?

DT

Old 22-09-2003, 04:02 PM
K30a

DT wrote Watercress, maybe?

I have watercress growing in my waterfall.
DH weeded it back to one sprig this spring and
it grew in completely again.
I've been tossing bunches of it in the
pond for the fish, they love it.
I've also used it in salads and on sandwiches
for us.

Old 22-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Bonnie

dt wrote:
Bonnie wrote:

John Hines wrote:

Thanks for posting, Bonnie. I'd been wondering if anybody was trying to
grow edible (by humans) plants in their filter.

Anybody else? Watercress, maybe?

DT

I have grown watercress for several years now. And, yes
we do eat it - but I don't mention that to those who are
eating ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-10-2003, 12:20 AM
BenignVanilla

"dt" wrote in message
Bonnie wrote:

John Hines wrote:

You need to tie up the vines so they don't hang in the water. Tomatoes
grow very well in a hydroponic setup.

Thanks for the info John. If I try this again next year
I'll follow your advice.

Thanks for posting, Bonnie. I'd been wondering if anybody was trying to
grow edible (by humans) plants in their filter.

Anybody else? Watercress, maybe?

Watercress grows like mad in my stream. The mint I planted on the backside
of the VF to hide some liner, as roots 3 feet long into the VF, and smaller
plants have arisen on the other side. Next year, lotsa mint and watercress
for me. I think I'll also try Bonnie's Mato idea, and maybe even some Basil.

BV.

Old 04-10-2003, 12:37 AM
BenignVanilla

"dt" wrote in message
Bonnie wrote:

John Hines wrote:

You need to tie up the vines so they don't hang in the water. Tomatoes
grow very well in a hydroponic setup.

Thanks for the info John. If I try this again next year
I'll follow your advice.

Thanks for posting, Bonnie. I'd been wondering if anybody was trying to
grow edible (by humans) plants in their filter.

Anybody else? Watercress, maybe?

Watercress grows like mad in my stream. The mint I planted on the backside
of the VF to hide some liner, as roots 3 feet long into the VF, and smaller
plants have arisen on the other side. Next year, lotsa mint and watercress
for me. I think I'll also try Bonnie's Mato idea, and maybe even some Basil.

BV.

LG Update: Birds of America (was Alexis Bledel update) Rob Jensen Ponds 0 26-12-2007 12:03 AM
mini update John Rutz Ponds 3 04-06-2003 02:56 AM
Update on yellow lemon tree leaves John Savage Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
OrchidSafari Update K Barrett Orchids 0 01-02-2003 04:57 AM
Tiny Heather update jammer Gardening 1 26-01-2003 04:03 AM