Old 21-09-2003, 09:32 PM
jason

Default Newbie Help............

Hi everyone.

I'm a newbie to pond life (excuse the pun) and have a few questions to
ask, if you don't mind. ....................

A little back ground to myself and the pond I'm in the process of
constructing. I've been a water keeper for 15 years, firstly tropical then
onto a marine reef system, which I've had for 3 years and is my little baby!
So I'm no newbie to keeping fish as such.

I've recently started to construct a 9'x9'x4' ( approx 7000L / 2000G)
pond in my back garden, the hole is dug and the frame work is all but
complete. This I've made from 9"x4" Tanalised rough sawn planks, not seen
many "wood" ponds so I thought it would be novel, though a bugger to
construct !!!! Although I don't intend to stock this year (I'm up in
Derbyshire UK and it is getting a little cold) but my aim is to stock with a
mixture of Kio, Orf's and a Sterlet or 2.

I've been doing some research on filter UVC and pump systems and also
asked around a few fish keeping friends for advice on equipment selection,
but would value other input. The main to concerns are the filter and UVC,
I've narrowed it down to either the OASE Biosys Promax 30000 or the
pressurised Fishmate 6000UV. Budget is an issue so the Evolution Nexus
range, which I like the look of is out of the question. Has any one any
experience with these products or recommend any other ??

Another quandary is whether to fit a separate UVC or will the in built
UV's be good enough? Also I have read in some places that you fit the UVC
after the filter box and some before, the arguments being fitting after
doesn't kill of any of the Nitrifying bacteria, but before helps the
mechanical filter media to remove more of the "clumped" algae cells, any
thoughts?

I'm also debating whether to go for a solid or pre-filtered submersible
pump (something like the Fishmate 2500), which is advisable? Lastly on
though thoughts of aeration, I will have a slate shelve for the water to
return to help create surface movement, either fed directly from a
pressurised filter or as a bypass on a gravity fed, my pond construction is
above ground level by a few feet, so the gravity fed would have to be top
exit. Also does anyone else use a separate air pump for aeration or does
most people just rely on surface agitation?

Any links to sites would be appreciated, my crawl of the web has thrown up
many conflicting views, suppliers always say THEIR product is the best, but
I'd rather ask the people who REALLY
know.................................... you!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Jason.

Old 21-09-2003, 10:03 PM
jammer

I dont get the pun.

Old 21-09-2003, 11:05 PM
jason

Pond life = scum, lower levels of intelligence ( a Northern (UK) saying).
Not us fish keepers I might hastened to add..............

Yes crap joke I know, but we I try!

Old 21-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Dingbat

According to my Oase brochure, a Koi pond of 8000 litres is suited by a
BIOsys3, consisting of a Biotec 10 filter, a Bitron 15 UV unit, and an
Aquamax 10000 pump. I've just bought one, total cost £499.
They told me in the shop that pressurised systems are a load of carp.
Bob

Old 22-09-2003, 12:30 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hi Jason,

Many folks here have websites showing their DYI's filter systems, if it is
getting cold where you are already I highly doubt you'll need a UV once the
pond system get established.

Anyway... my website is below, click on *My Pond Filter* *The Demon Pond
Filter* and *My Lilypond* for under the liner connections.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 23-09-2003, 09:33 PM
jason

Thanks for the info,

Is Oase a good bet ?? I had a look at a brochure myself and the look
well made. I presume with you only just acquiring the system you have not
had to much time to asses it's performance.

One other quandary I have been mulling over, I had my Butyl liner
delivered today and wondered if it is better to install it now and leave the
pond over winter, though there will be no stock and I wouldn't be circulate
the water, or leave it bear till spring, any thoughts ?

Cheers

Jason

Old 23-09-2003, 09:34 PM
jason

Thanks for the links

Although building my own filter system my be the more frugal approach
but I really am looking for an of the shelf system.

Thanks again

Jason

Old 28-09-2003, 03:02 PM

Jo Ann and Steve Burke who have numerous ponds (sell fish) have tried many many
brands and say that the Oase, altho more expensive are sooo dependable and last. It
is the only one they buy now. Ingrid

"jason" wrote:
Is Oase a good bet ?? I had a look at a brochure myself and the look
well made. I presume with you only just acquiring the system you have not
had to much time to asses it's performance.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 28-09-2003, 09:02 PM
jason

Thanks,

You are right about the price, but as always with quality there is an
expense!!! I've decided to go with the Oase system, the Biosys 3 (set2) to
be precise, I've got the price down to £390 and with more searching maybe
cheaper.

I read a review on the Aquamax 10000 and it gets the thumbs up and have
not heard any bad points yet. I'm in the doldrums at the mo, the frame is
finally up and the base will be cemented next week then the liner and
filling. I'm on a meter so 7000L should rack my bill up a bit. The original
plan was to fill with rain water from my water butt, but I've read on
Tetra's site that this is not a good idea so it's the hose pipe me thinks.
The doldrums come from seeing my plans coming alive, but knowing it will be
months before stocking, but all good things come to those who wait.

At least with my marine I could watch the live rock, now maybe I will
just have to look out for some water boatmen !!!!

Cheers

Jason

"jason" wrote:
Is Oase a good bet ?? I had a look at a brochure myself and the look
well made. I presume with you only just acquiring the system you have not
had to much time to asses it's performance.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List