Old 25-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Bob in PA

Default No more viruses

Seeming as there is already a thread going in here, I've decided to ask a
question and see if anyone can figure it out. I have cable, and for the
last week or so I try to access webpages and they *all* come up unavailable,
404, or the like. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can slowy surf for a little
while before it kicks out again. But I am connected to the internet still,
because I can access newsgroups, email, AIM, weatherbug, everything but
webpages. Norton doesn't pick anything up with the latest definitions,
Ad-Aware 6.0 gives me zilch, I can't figure it out. Anyone help me?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 25-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Doug Ulberg

Everyday I get "updates from Microsoft" and everyday my free antivirus
software (AVG Free Edition) picks up a virus and/or worm. Norton never
caught any of my viruses. Doug

"pixi" wrote in message
These are not e-mails. They appear from time as a message saying that

they
are Windows updates. And this has been going on for a couple of years.

As
far as I know, these are legitimate and I apparently do not have a virus.

If so, both Norton and McAfee failed to detect them, as did one on the
Internet which I think was called Trend.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
"Steve Yeung" wrote in message
DELETE THE EMAIL !!! Microsoft do not send updates through email. Some

one
is sending you a virus disguised as Microsoft updates.

"pixi" wrote in message
Another thing. I often get "updates" from Windows via the internet.

Why
can't they semd the anti virus patches in the same way. Or have they?

Or are they really updates from Windows? although I had a problem

with
my
Autorun and was on the phone with Dell for well over an hour. (Their
nickle, not mine.) And they assured me that I absolutely did not have

virus.

"pixi" wrote in message
I am certainly in favor of more stringent laws. There must be

something
out
there in the U.S. to slow the hackers, etc. down.

A month or so ago a hacker was trying to get into my computer for

reasons
unknown to me. I reported him (Or her) to Norton who wrote back and

said
they could do nothing because it was coming from Asia.

So our laws would not affect those from other countries.

---

Old 25-09-2003, 02:12 PM
pixi

Yes, it is turned on but was on when I bought this contraption.

Also, I have scanned this infernal machine with Norton, McAfee and another
online antivirus machine and all say I have no virus. Plus, my server scans
the e-mails before I get them and notifies that they have been quarantined.
I can read them if I wish but don't bother.

Some slip through my server's anti virus but they get deleted as fast as
they arrive.

Thanks again.

Pixi
"Steve Yeung" wrote in message
newsgkcb.568061$o%2.254512@sccrnsc02...
You must have turned on the auto-updates feature in Window.

Old 25-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Rich Conley

I'm having the same issues in Ma, on comcast cable. I think its something to do
with this virus' large payload lagging the networks out badly. I dont have any
issues at work, but I think thats because of the astronomical difference in the
bandwith of a T3 line and a cable network.

Try playing a multiplayer online game...then you'll see how bad it really is
right now.

Old 25-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Bob in PA

Hi Rich,

I think I found the solution. Either the storm messed something up with the
comcast lines, and they had to make some kind of changes, or they upgraded
something. Try unplugging your power to your cable modem for about ten
minutes, and then plug it back it. It worked for me.

Hope this helps,

Bob
--

Check out my pond webpage:
Http://trains99.tripod.com

Click on the My Pond Link under Places to Go

Old 26-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Nedra

Doug, Are you sure you get the LiveUpdates on a daily basis?
That program is a gem!! I have Norton and they stop everything.
It is the email they send telling me they caught the virus that was
killing me. Got that taken care of by tightening
the spamblocker in Earthlink.

Nedra

news

Old 26-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Gale Pearce

Nedra - Are you talking about an email Norton actually sends you (I don't
get that), or a pop up message notifying you it has detected a virus and
waits for you to tell it what to do with it? - I changed my settings so it
would automatically quarantine the virus , then go on to next incoming email
so I didn't have to sit here and keep clicking as it found each one - I can
start outlook express and walk away until it is done - I still get the junk
email to delete, but the viruses have all been quarantined - I didn't set it
to automatically delete as I want to know just how many I am getting, - you
do that by checking "Reports -- Quarantined Items -- View report" - I am now
down to ~ 25 in the morn from ~ 80
Gale :~)

Old 28-09-2003, 02:39 AM
dkat

NORTON DOES NOT SEND EMAILS WITH UPGRADES or patches! Neither does
Microsoft or anyone else that I know of. Norton and Windows both have an
automatic upgrading system as part of the program. DK

Old 28-09-2003, 05:09 AM
Nedra

Gale, You are right. It is a pop-up. However, the pop-ups were
accumulating so quickly. I ended up calling the 900 phone number
at Norton. The tech told me how to fix the settings - didn't help so
I use Earthlink's Spamblocker set to stop everything! Your way
sounds better. Thanks much....

Nedra

"pixi" wrote in message
I am certainly in favor of more stringent laws. There must be
something
out
there in the U.S. to slow the hackers, etc. down.

A month or so ago a hacker was trying to get into my computer

for
reasons
unknown to me. I reported him (Or her) to Norton who wrote

back
and
said
they could do nothing because it was coming from Asia.

So our laws would not affect those from other countries.

---

what happens to animal viruses that get inside of plants Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 09-06-2004 03:23 PM
OT changing settings (was more viruses) LeeAnne Ponds 2 24-09-2003 09:02 PM
OT more viruses KenCo Ponds 42 23-09-2003 03:02 PM
Fried Norton's AntiVirus - any good ideas? ( OT more viruses) Nedra Ponds 11 22-09-2003 12:55 AM
Rasberry Viruses [email protected] United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 07:56 PM