Old 27-09-2003, 07:02 PM
BD

Default Edible Pond Growth?

I don't know if this has been asked before but can anything edible be grown
in a small garden pond? I was thinking of watercress maybe. Even better
would be something that could choke the duckweed. I am in the UK by the way.
Cheers - Bo.

Old 27-09-2003, 07:42 PM
K30a

I grow watercress in my waterfall
and it grows like crazy.
I weed it from time to time and the
fish eat it up.

k30a

Old 29-09-2003, 04:31 AM
BenignVanilla

"BD" wrote in message
I don't know if this has been asked before but can anything edible be

grown
in a small garden pond? I was thinking of watercress maybe. Even better
would be something that could choke the duckweed. I am in the UK by the

way.

I too have done the watercress thing, but I found it didn't grow well at all
in my pond. When I put my stream in recently, I tossed WC in there. It is
going like gang busters, whatever gang busters are.

BV.

Old 29-09-2003, 04:44 PM
DavidM

"BD" wrote in message
I don't know if this has been asked before but can anything edible be

grown
in a small garden pond? I was thinking of watercress maybe. Even better
would be something that could choke the duckweed. I am in the UK by the

way.
Cheers - Bo.

Hello. I'm also in the UK. I don't grow watercress in my pond, however I do
grow mint. Very nice with new potatoes.
It grows at an amazing rate, so keep it confined to one basket. It creates a
great smell when the wind blows and all the plant move against it.
David

Old 30-09-2003, 03:39 AM
mad

ah, yes, gang busters: it was a 40s/50s radio show about catching the bad
guys. i believe it was the fbi (but i could be wrong about that). you see, i
was just barely old enough to remember it when the radio station went to an
all music format. but, long live rock and roll! :-D
mad
-- ,
/ \
____________/___\____________
| Out of my mind. |
| Back in five minutes... |
|___________________________|

Old 01-10-2003, 06:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
I too have done the watercress thing, but I found it didn't grow well at all
in my pond. When I put my stream in recently, I tossed WC in there. It is
going like gang busters, whatever gang busters are.

gang·bus·ter (g²ng“b¾s”t…r) n. Slang. A law enforcement officer who works
to break up organized criminal groups. --idiom. like gangbusters. Slang.
With great impact, vigor, or zeal: came on like gangbusters at the start of
his campaign; a career that took off like gangbusters.

) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 04-10-2003, 04:15 AM
Teeb

You need to watch out for giardilla (sp?) It can end up in your pond in many
different ways.. in my case it was from plants I buy every spring from the
local pond place.. it's outdoors and they have these huge outdoor "lakes"..
(they also allow people to fish in them, they're pretty big).. and a couple
irrigation canals run alongside them..

Teeb