Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 PM
BA PATSFAN

Default heron

will the plastic bird netting with 1" squares actually keep the heron out? Is
it strong enough? And will the heron stop coming if the pond is netted? Can I
just put the net about 4" above the water and get it taunt by placing rocks on
it? Also I put 4" black pipe in the pond but had to put rocks in it to get it
to sink so now I don't think the bigger fish can get thru it, any other
suggestion how to sink it without blocking the pipe? Thanks for any info

Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Bonnie

BA PATSFAN wrote:
will the plastic bird netting with 1" squares actually keep the heron out? Is
it strong enough? And will the heron stop coming if the pond is netted? Can I
just put the net about 4" above the water and get it taunt by placing rocks on
it? Also I put 4" black pipe in the pond but had to put rocks in it to get it
to sink so now I don't think the bigger fish can get thru it, any other
suggestion how to sink it without blocking the pipe? Thanks for any info

After I netted my pond last year the heron came back daily.
It tried over and over again to get to the fish and
finally gave up. It didn't return this year. At least, I
don't think it returned. I installed a Scarecrow, motion
detector. I'm not sure if the heron returned and was scared
away by the squirting water or it just didn't return.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Anne Lurie

I think the 1" plastic netting will keep the heron out -- if you can keep
the netting taut so it does not sink to the bottom of the pond when the
heron lands (or steps) on it. If it simply sinks, that might deter the
heron briefly, but not enough.

As for the 4" pipe in the pond, is there anything like bricks that you could
lean up against the pipe to make it sink? A concrete block would probably
be ideal, but I'm not sure that there's any made with a hole big enough for
a 4" pipe.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM