Old 08-10-2003, 11:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default High Salt - Shredded Fins

I recently brought in my female moor to a 20 gallon that already had an
oranda from the same pond within. The oranda had been there long enough for
the water parameters to be back to normal. The pH of the pond & tank were
real close .2-.4 difference, and the temp was within 5-10 degrees, with the
tank being the warmer one.

The next morning I discovered the moor's fins & tail shredded. The ammonia
was .25 so barely showing on the test, ditto with nitrite. I treated with
Amquel and added salt. The next day she was worst and then she was dead on
the 3rd day. I now know the salt was already at .18% when I put her in,
pond had zero salt. Could this have caused the shredding and eventual
death? Ammonia and nitrite stayed in the barely readable ranges which I
treated with the Amquel each day as needed. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 10-10-2003, 08:32 PM

yes. unfortunately. but fish coming in from the pond need to be "cleaned up" cause
parasites when they hit warm water explode in population. she most likely had some
gyros. the salt could have hastened her demise.
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...m%20the%20pond
Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I did a formalin dip treatment, so I should have knocked many off, I hope?
The next group of goldies have been brought in with no ill affects, salt
was lowered to 0.15%. ~ jan

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Butterfly from short-fins...... Reel Mckoi Ponds 0 21-07-2005 08:22 PM
warts on fins gunnar Ponds 2 01-05-2005 05:02 AM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Black edges appearing on fins Robert Liles Ponds 6 19-04-2003 10:32 AM
My discus have their fins closed !!!! C1000mg Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 06-03-2003 04:51 AM