Old 09-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Does you pond change like a baby?

I'm 29 years old and all of my friends are at that age where they are
pregnant and popping out babies left and right. My social life is declining
but that's another story. Anyways all the moms don't work and they always
tell me that they could never go back to work because their babies change
daily and they'd be afraid to miss something. I understood because my pond
changes daily too. Now my pond isn't in my back yard so I don't get to watch
it every day like most one the group. It's at some property that I own about
20 miles north of me. It's a rec pond that I built this year so I don't have
to watch it as closely as an ornamental pond but I go there a few times a
week and on weekends to work on the property and to check on the pond and
make sure it's still there. It's great how new ponders come here and post
their progress and we all sit here and read it and think back and remember
how much in awe we were when we were digging our little hole in the world.
Here's how mine went:

1. Man that's a whole lot of trees over there.
2. Man that's a big pile of trees they ripped out.
3. Man that's a BIG hole in the ground.
4. Man that's a BIG puddle.
5. I wonder where I can buy dragon flies to stock the pond.
6. MAN WHERE DID ALL THIS WILDLIFE COME FROM.
7. WOW the bluegills are spawning. They weren't supposed to do that until
next year.
8. Wow 2 rosy reds really do make 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,004 after about
a day.
9. Where are all my rosy reds and how'd my bass get so big?
10. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT.
11. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT.
12. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT.
13. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT.
14. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT.

Check out my pond if you get a chance. http://www.wildlifereserve.org

Sam

Old 09-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Theo van Daele

LOL !

That about covers it indeed !

That pond is pretty impressive !

At times I felt like my head was going to explode.

Yup again. Every year I think "right, I should know most of this stuff by
now", and then you start reading/learning/researching again, and learn more
each year than in all the years before combined.

The "appreciating" things is spot on. There is so much more going on than
you'd first expect. I'm not a "religious" person, but the awe you start to
feel for how it all works, critters coming and going, is as close as I ever
got to a real "spiritual" experience.

But nothing wrong remembering some babes from Baywatch though ;-)

16,000,000 gallons of water

Gulp ! So I guess you don't heat it then ;-)

Theo

Old 09-10-2003, 06:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

snip

Sam...I am still working on obeying the "STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND"
mantra, so mine is always changing. I am not sure growing is the right word,
but changing. *laugh* I hope and pray for the day, I can sit by it and enjoy
it without thoughts like, "Hmmm, I think I'll change..."

BV.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Susan H. Simko

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Check out my pond if you get a chance. http://www.wildlifereserve.org

Sam, I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your
website. It's clean and well done.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu
(web admin for the Fuqua School of Business at Duke *grin*)

Old 09-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

Thanks susan. It's getting there. =) Now that winter is coming upon us I'll
have more time to update it.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

BV,

If you aren't sitting enjoying the pond yet, then you won't ever sit and
enjoy it. I think you are like me, always got to be working on it for
relaxation. Sitting is like work.
--
RichToyBox

Old 10-10-2003, 04:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
BV,

If you aren't sitting enjoying the pond yet, then you won't ever sit and
enjoy it. I think you are like me, always got to be working on it for
relaxation. Sitting is like work.
--
RichToyBox

snip

OK, then lemme got get my shovel...*evil grin*...It sounds like it is OK to
keep working on it.

BV.

Old 10-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Theo van Daele

It's very much part of the deal with me too :-)

Actually, after 5 years, it goes like this...

1) winter time, make plans for changing pond
2) early spring, start doing stuff (digging, placing other rocks, doesn't
matter, a "big job"
3) die of stress after something goes wrong with "da big change"
4) correct stoopid mistakes, try to calm down
5) summer, enjoy pond
6) automn, wonder about the pond being too small, rocks that might hurt the
fish, filter change, ad infinitum
7) see 1)

:blush:

Theo

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
if you will like Bob's plain before frogs, it will locally change the elbow Stoned Redhead United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 01:52 PM
where will you change the open sharp grocers before Angelo does Marla United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 11:16 AM
how will you change the clean strong hats before Varla does Rev. Mikie Y. Wiley United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:35 AM
OT - How many rec.pond'ers does it take to change a light bulb? Benign Vanilla Ponds 23 23-06-2004 09:09 PM