Old 10-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Vic Tiongco

Default I hhow many 2' kois can fit in there?

I have an 1800 gal pond how many 2 foot koi can fit in there? I have about
10 that are 1'6" koi, and have 10 less than 6"

Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

It depends on how much work you want to do. The "standard" answer is 1,000
gallons for the first one, and 100 gallons for each of the additional ones.
The guys that like to maintain show quality fish have 1,000-1,200 gallons
per fish. In reality, the limiting factor is the amount of filtration you
have and the amount of work and money you want to put into the pond to
maintain the water quality. "Keep the water and the water will keep the
fish". In theory, with enough filtration, you could keep the current roster.
However, they WILL breed, and there will always be that fish that sits in
the retail tank and "calls to you" . . . to be safe, I'd find homes for half
of your current fish.

Lee

Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:31:12 -0700, "Vic Tiongco"
wrote:

I have an 1800 gal pond how many 2 foot koi can fit in there? I have about
10 that are 1'6" koi, and have 10 less than 6"

The better question sometimes is, how many 2' koi can your filter system
handle? What is and how big is your filter system? How well has it been
working up to now? ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Vic Tiongco

I have 3 50gal jap mat filter, and the pond is always clear to the bottom
and, no amonia levels, and nitrite or nitrate, ph is about 7.9 and. All is
good, maybe I'll add more filters, It home made so easy to do it.

Old 15-10-2003, 03:12 AM
Vic Tiongco

Thanks, Lee,

I know what you mean about that fish at the pet store, but I moved to
Seattle now, the pond is at my moms place in Canada, won't need to worry
about that. But the filter I have should be able to handle it, maybe I'll
double the filter system size so my mom doesn't have to clean once a week.
Pond is always clear to bottom, UV used and lots of hyacants and lettuce,
keep the water very clean. No amonia or nitrate or nitrite problems.

PH is about 7.9.

Old 16-10-2003, 02:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Probably 10 two footers as is, more filter perhaps more, but over crowding
can be a stressor also (as I found out this spring when I waited too long
to sell a couple) so keep that in mind. ~ jan

n Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:01:26 -0700, "Vic Tiongco" wrote:

I have 3 50gal jap mat filter, and the pond is always clear to the bottom
and, no amonia levels, and nitrite or nitrate, ph is about 7.9 and. All is
good, maybe I'll add more filters, It home made so easy to do it.

.. .
wrote:

I have an 1800 gal pond how many 2 foot koi can fit in there? I have

about
10 that are 1'6" koi, and have 10 less than 6"

The better question sometimes is, how many 2' koi can your filter system
handle? What is and how big is your filter system? How well has it been
working up to now? ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

So many user IDs there windsong.your worse than I can dream of being SirSidney Ponds 1 20-02-2005 02:23 AM
Hhow best to estabilish a new lawn at this late date? JMac Lawns 10 04-10-2003 05:02 PM
Kois sanke Ponds (alternative) 2 22-03-2003 01:08 AM
My Kois Pond sanke Ponds 0 19-03-2003 07:08 AM