Old 21-10-2003, 01:12 PM
NeptuneB

Default INTERBREEDING?

"NeptuneB" wrote in message news:...
Hi all

I've got a question...
What I'm going to ask might be common knowledge to most of you, but i'm
relatively new to the pond scene.

How likely is it that different kinds of goldfish will interbreed in a

pond?
I've got quite a large pond with Comets, and they are breeding prefusely.(
it is now summer here in South Africa ) and i'm thinking of adding

Fantails
and Black Moors. Will every kind stick to their own or is this a bad idea?
Thanx...

~~~~~ KeEp WeT ~~~~~`
NeptuneB

Old 21-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Just Me \Koi\

It's kind of ironic that you are writing from South Africa and inquiring
about "every kind sticking to their own"

No they will not. My pond has all kinds of fish initially, Black Moor, Koi,
Goldfish, Electric Blue, etc.

I got baby fish of different combination. Some of the babies were great
looking, some were just down right ugly.

Now my pond only has Koi, and yet I still fret over the sanke breeding with
the showa, the regular koi breeding with the butterfly, the Japanese
imported fish breeding with my standard American pond koi!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 21-10-2003, 06:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

What "Just Me Koi" said, and to add, comets can be very hard on fantail
type goldfish females. I love shubunkins, but I don't put them in my
lilypond with my moors, orandas & ryunkins.... In fact, I only have one
type of male in there so I sort of know what the parentage is. ~ jan

"NeptuneB" wrote in message news:...
Hi all

I've got a question...
What I'm going to ask might be common knowledge to most of you, but i'm
relatively new to the pond scene.

How likely is it that different kinds of goldfish will interbreed in a

pond?
I've got quite a large pond with Comets, and they are breeding prefusely.(
it is now summer here in South Africa ) and i'm thinking of adding

Fantails
and Black Moors. Will every kind stick to their own or is this a bad idea?
Thanx...

~~~~~ KeEp WeT ~~~~~`
NeptuneB

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-10-2003, 03:22 AM
bmuller

My experience is the opposite type. I started with a bunch of feeder comets
about 15 years ago. They have produced lots and lots of babies, most of
which were sold to the pet store as feeders. But I now have fish with
spectacular tails, and other finnage, All variations of color from light
orange through dark orange, to almost black.