Old 25-10-2003, 04:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default German carp

Phyllis and I went to Germany for a couple of weeks (I am a family
therapist. We were working with military families. Many are hurting and
yet can't pursue family or couple help. It is OK to be divorced, but it
hurts your career to go for therapy. Sad.) I was remembering that koi came
to Japan as European/German carp and wondered what the ancesters looked
like. We saw some carp in Germany. They do look like the non-show koi,
more angular and less 'submarine-like'. The green/grey of European carp is
certainly improved on by the koi colors. It probably would not help them in
their native rivers, but the color makes them a lot more fun in the pond!

I appreciate, a lot, the effort needed to breed for color and design!

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 27-10-2003, 09:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message . ..
Phyllis and I went to Germany for a couple of weeks (I am a family
therapist. We were working with military families. Many are hurting and
yet can't pursue family or couple help. It is OK to be divorced, but it
hurts your career to go for therapy. Sad.) I was remembering that koi

came
to Japan as European/German carp and wondered what the ancesters looked
like. We saw some carp in Germany. They do look like the non-show koi,
more angular and less 'submarine-like'. The green/grey of European carp

is
certainly improved on by the koi colors. It probably would not help them

in
their native rivers, but the color makes them a lot more fun in the pond!

I appreciate, a lot, the effort needed to breed for color and design!

Jim

snip

The problem with those German koi is that they have no idea what you are
saying when you stand at your pond's egde, and say "Here fishy, fishy. Here
fishy, fishy."

BV.

Old 28-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Theo van Daele

LOL

Yeah, like those Japanese ones do, eh ? ;-)
As long as they don't run for governer in the US :-p (yeah yeah, I know,
he's from Austria)

As an aside, it's only some varieties ('doitsu' !) that came from Germany,
the original carp used to breed actually comes from Iraq/Iran ... go figure.

Look up the relation between "magoi" and Persia.

Theo

Old 28-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Theo van Daele

J., apologies if my post somehow seemed condescending or insulting. That
was not my intention at all.

Theo

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" schreef in
bericht . ..
Thanks for the information. I will take a look to become educated.

Old 23-11-2003, 10:24 PM
Elizabeth Naime

Quoth "BenignVanilla" on Mon, 27
Oct 2003 16:11:28 -0500,

The problem with those German koi is that they have no idea what you are
saying when you stand at your pond's egde, and say "Here fishy, fishy. Here
fishy, fishy."

They'd learn right quick, though, if you came with food every day! ;-)

Seriously, I have always thought that I'd love to have an "ugly koi" in
my pond. Though I bet wild-caught fish would need a looong quarantine
and would have a nice assortment of local parasites.

I suppose I'll settle for a chagoi, someday.

Only know that there is no spork.

Newbie question about carp y2jayplus1 Ponds 0 22-03-2004 05:34 PM
Newbie question about carp y2jayplus1 Ponds 0 22-03-2004 05:30 PM
Real Carp don't eat Koi food joe Ponds 0 14-08-2003 05:22 PM
How long do carp live? JohnB Ponds 10 02-07-2003 02:32 PM
Triploid Grass Carp in Koi Pond??? Dennis Ponds 2 24-06-2003 10:56 PM