Old 25-10-2003, 05:32 AM
mjb

Default weed control

Hi all,
We run Radio Control Sailboats on a pond that is probably about a couple
acres in size here in NY. This year we had a very bad weed problem. They
start about 5 feet out from shore and don't stop until about 15 feet out
from shore. The problem is that sailboats have a lead keel that sticks down
below the boat for about 6-11 inches (depending on the boat) and they get
stuck in these very thick weeds. The pond is also supposedly stocked with
fish. I have personally only seen very small bluegills in there, however I
have been told that someone caught a 2 foot bass out of the pond although
I'm not sure that I believe it.
My question is, can I use granular Cutrine in just our section of the pond
to kill off the weeds in just our area without harming the fish?

Mike~

Old 25-10-2003, 08:12 PM
RichToyBox

Mike,

Per Aquatic Eco catalog, www.aquaticeco.com Cutrine-Plus liquid can be used
to control weeds without affecting the use of the water for swimming,
livestock, watering, irrigation, or fishing. Cutrine Plus granular is
listed as an algaecide. Because the liquid is a chelated copper that stays
in solution long after initial dose, I do not know what its affect would be
on other areas of the pond. They do have a warning that you should not use
copper based products in waters with koi, carp, goldfish, or trout.
--
RichToyBox

Old 25-10-2003, 11:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Look into sterile grass carp, they will take care of your weed problem. The
next options might be a 15 foot dock? ~ jan

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 04:26:15 GMT, "mjb" wrote:

Hi all,
We run Radio Control Sailboats on a pond that is probably about a couple
acres in size here in NY. This year we had a very bad weed problem. They
start about 5 feet out from shore and don't stop until about 15 feet out
from shore. The problem is that sailboats have a lead keel that sticks down
below the boat for about 6-11 inches (depending on the boat) and they get
stuck in these very thick weeds. The pond is also supposedly stocked with
fish. I have personally only seen very small bluegills in there, however I
have been told that someone caught a 2 foot bass out of the pond although
I'm not sure that I believe it.
My question is, can I use granular Cutrine in just our section of the pond
to kill off the weeds in just our area without harming the fish?

Mike~

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-10-2003, 04:22 AM
mjb

I've heard about the sterile grass carp from a co-worker, but he said they
didn't do a thing for his pond. I'd love to put a dock in (this would solve
multiple problems), however the town won't let us. Guess they are afraid
someone will fall off and drown themselves and sue. Thanks for the reply
tho'.

Mike~

Old 26-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

You might try a professional on the opinion regarding grass carp. They
pretty much clear out all vegetation down here in the South.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 26-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Kathleen

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:

You might try a professional on the opinion regarding grass carp. They
pretty much clear out all vegetation down here in the South.

My folks put four of the sterile grass carp into their 30' by 75' pond
last year to try to deal with the excess vegetation. They think one of
them might have died because they'd never seen more than three of them
at any given time, but it was hard to tell because they were very shy
and had no distinguishing marks. They took care of the extra vegetation
all right, then turned their attention to my mother's beloved water lilies.
My parents gave some thought to adding some sort of prolific plant
(water hyacinth maybe) to keep them fed, but were afraid that the carp
might continue to eat the lilies by preference, and then they'd have a
fish problem AND a plant problem.
The conservation agent told them to cull one or two of the carp, and
that since they won't bite on a hook, it would have to be with a bow and
arrow, a gig, or a gun.
So my dad went out there one day and sat on the bank of the pond until
he saw one of them grazing along the dam on the opposite side. He
nailed it with his .22. We all felt kind of bad about it, but there was
really no other way to remove the fish. It was huge, too. Well over
two feet long, and fat from a diet of exotic lilies.
I think the other carp got word that there was a contract out on them.
They went into hiding and weren't seen for a full week.

Kathleen

Old 26-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

It is indeed the case that they are non-discriminatory in their eating. If
it is green, they try it. Check how many your pond needs before putting any
in!

Old 27-10-2003, 09:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Look into sterile grass carp, they will take care of your weed problem.

The
next options might be a 15 foot dock? ~ jan

snip

16 may be better.

BV.

Old 28-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Theo van Daele

Look into sterile grass carp, they will take care of your weed problem.

Aren't Dutch carp even better at weed control ? ;-)

sorry, rough evening

Old 28-10-2003, 09:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:06:10 GMT, "Theo van Daele"
wrote:

Look into sterile grass carp, they will take care of your weed problem.

Aren't Dutch carp even better at weed control ? ;-)

sorry, rough evening

Mine must be rougher, I don't get it. ???? Or will it loose something in
the explanation? ;o) ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 30-10-2003, 01:42 AM
ponder

It is all part of mother nature and really you should live with it. Have you
ever been to a lake? Same stuff grows , same spots, can't think of the name
of it