Old 07-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default OT Linux

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 02:30:55 +0000 (UTC)
Cichlidiot wrote:

Cybe R. Wizard Cybe_R_Wizard@wizardstower wrote:
On the gripping hand, those who learn Linux first learn just as fast
as Windows users and will not even consider switching to such
inferior OSs as any of the Microsoft offerings, each new iteration
of which has its own learning curve.

Ooo.. gripping hand... I sense a Niven and Pournelle reader in our
midst

Guilty as charged.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Susan H. Simko

Cichlidiot wrote:

Ooo.. gripping hand... I sense a Niven and Pournelle reader in our
midst

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

Guilty as charged.

You may be happy to know then that Larry's and Marilyn's house survived
the fires in CA. Fires came right up to the house but didn't touch it.

Susan
shsimko (at) dukedotedu

Old 07-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

Guilty as charged.

You may be happy to know then that Larry's and Marilyn's house
survived the fires in CA. Fires came right up to the house but didn't
touch it.

Susan

Indeed, I am! Thanks you very much for that info.

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 07-11-2003, 11:12 PM
D Kat

yep... don't know what space my brain was in.... it frequently takes off
on its own. DK
"Snooze" wrote in message
. ..

"D Kat" wrote in message
et...
The fact that all Unix base systems have the administrator login as

"ROOT"
makes it ideal for a hacker. You already know the login... just have to
make a program to generate passwords.

And in windows NT/2000/etc you login as Administrator, in the Cisco world
your goal is enable access. Knowing the goal and reaching it are two
different things.

Everyone knows where Mount Everest is, you just have to walk straight up

place your flag there....

Sameer

Old 08-11-2003, 04:22 AM
BenignVanilla

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message
D Kat wrote:

snip
Have you tried Slackware Linux?

snip

Slackware? Really? If I remember correctly, Slackware is the version of
Linux I ran for fun, back when Linux was not cool.

BV.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:32 AM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
snip
If every computer out there shipped with linux, there wouldnt be any

market for
windows. And Mac people are fanatics about their OS.

snip

If every computer out ther shipped with Windows, there wouldn't be any
market for Linux. Oh but nearly all do, and there still is a market...There
will always be a market.

BV.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

2) If Linux is so superior why are we all not using? BV

Marketing? ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 08-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Offbreed

"D Kat" wrote in message . net...
I actually run a lot of my own programs (doing speech, data collection and
data analysis) and use many berkeley Unix DOS utilities in DOS . Windows
Excel has served as a nice replacement for many Unix command line programs
that DOS never was able to do. I was never able to beat Unix into doing the
RealTime processes that I had to be able to do (I have to play auditory
files one sample point at a time).

Roll your own? G Probably faster than paging through all the ports
and packages availible in Linux and BSD.

(though I am now running real time
data collection in WinNT with a windows app I was able to put together with
BuilderCPP and CDX - In which case Windows is the only OS that will do
everything I need - I just feel loyal to Unix) DK

There's several minor OS's around loosly based on UNIX, and at least
one of them claims to be "The ONLY realtime OS made". Paid no
attention as I have not the foggiest idea what that was all about.
Might be a waste of time trying to chase them down to check out, but I
really doubt the latest virus is going to do anything to them (which
is why I was looking at them). Drivers, though...

(shrug) Windows works just fine for me, as long as I keep it away from
the net and run mantanance on it now and then. LOL, good luck on
killing the net connection.

"Ponding" is your "Zen Garden"? Makes sense. I lurk for pointers on a
small agriculture pond, not that I have one or am likely to actually
build one.

Ugh, work calls in a shrill and unpleasent voice.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Cichlidiot

D Kat wrote:

snip
Have you tried Slackware Linux?

snip

Slackware? Really? If I remember correctly, Slackware is the version of
Linux I ran for fun, back when Linux was not cool.

If you meant that as a "really? it's still around?" then yeah. Pat just
released 9.1 about a month ago. ISOs are available on the FTP sites or you
can order a boxed set via store.slackware.com.

If that's a "really? people still use Slackware?" then also yeah. It has a
pretty dedicated group of regulars that hang out in
alt.os.linux.slackware. It's also in either the top 5 or 10 most popular
Linux distros (depending on who is running the survey). For example, Linux
Counter has about 11% of registered users saying they use Slackware, about
the same as SUSE, 4th after Red Hat, Debian and Mandrake.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:12 PM
mad

this is why MACs never went to the top of the charts--apple's stupid
marketing tricks.
mad, who luvs her mac
--
Televangelists: the pro-wrestlers of religion

Old 08-11-2003, 02:22 PM
mad

to quote maynard g. krebs: WORK?

work is a 4-letter word. :-D
mad
--
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

From: (Offbreed)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 7 Nov 2003 22:19:38 -0800

Ugh, work calls in a shrill and unpleasent voice.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:03 PM
john rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"D Kat" wrote in message

I love Unix and have since 1970. Linux isn't there yet (NeXT was! and was
10 years ahead of its time). DK

snip

Linux is not ready for prime time as a desktop OS. Clearly.

BV.

i beg to differ I have been using suse linux on my desktop

for three years and love it
I'm on someone elses puter now ewith winderz and hate it

John Rutz

Old 09-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Bonnie

john rutz wrote:

for three years and love it
I'm on someone elses puter now ewith winderz and hate it

John Rutz

You may have it, but we're glad to see you posting!

-
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-11-2003, 10:46 PM
BenignVanilla

D Kat wrote:

snip
Have you tried Slackware Linux?

snip

Slackware? Really? If I remember correctly, Slackware is the version of
Linux I ran for fun, back when Linux was not cool.

If you meant that as a "really? it's still around?" then yeah. Pat just
released 9.1 about a month ago. ISOs are available on the FTP sites or you
can order a boxed set via store.slackware.com.

snip

Yeah that is what I meant. I dabbled with Linux in the pre-win95 days. I
never used it for business purposes, but it was fun to play with. I didn't
realize Slackware was still around. That's cool.

BV.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:47 PM
BenignVanilla

"mad" wrote in message
this is why MACs never went to the top of the charts--apple's stupid
marketing tricks.
mad, who luvs her mac

snip

I'd argue their lack of marketing. They never let anyone build clones. If
they had, we'd all be using MAC's running Linux right now, without a doubt.
Marketing definately plays a roll.

BV.

[IBC] OT Linux (PLS RESPOND OFFLIST) Jim Lewis Bonsai 16 09-04-2003 09:08 PM
[IBC] OT Linux akrummel Bonsai 1 20-03-2003 05:20 AM
[IBC] OT Linux (pls respond ON list) John NJ Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 02:56 PM