Old 15-11-2003, 05:32 PM
jr

Default OT Linux

BenignVanilla wrote:
"john rutz" wrote in message

I plan to switch OS's when someone delivers a way for me to harnes my entire
network. I have 6 or 7 machines always running, and if I could harness all 7
to compile video, or compile code, I'd switch tomorrow.

BV.

hmmm do youu mean use linux for the network? I had three puters networked
on suse linux neat thing is suse can even read/copy windows partition

Old 15-11-2003, 06:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"jr" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:
"john rutz" wrote in message

I plan to switch OS's when someone delivers a way for me to harnes my

entire
network. I have 6 or 7 machines always running, and if I could harness

all 7
to compile video, or compile code, I'd switch tomorrow.

BV.

hmmm do youu mean use linux for the network? I had three puters

networked
on suse linux neat thing is suse can even read/copy windows partition

I design/build client server apps for a living. I have a 100baseT network in
the house, with several servers, and clients so I closely replicate
environments I work in for customers. My frustration, admitedly among
others, is that often my windows machines are just sitting there. If I am
compiling some code, or rendering some home videos, I'd love to be able to
configure all machines on my network to allow ticks to be doled out to other
machines that ask for them. Use the processors.

BV.

Old 16-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Snooze

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote in message
news:20031114205707.1ea70fed.Cybe_R_Wizard@Wizards Tower...

Cybe R. Wizard -impressed that Snooze used Linux /before/ the version 1
release!

Completely unintentionally too! I think I started with 0.99pl?? but i
forget the patch level number. Funny story how I go introduced to linux.

Sameer

Old 16-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:30:42 GMT
"Snooze" wrote:

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote in message
news:20031114205707.1ea70fed.Cybe_R_Wizard@Wizards Tower...

Cybe R. Wizard -impressed that Snooze used Linux /before/ the
version 1 release!

Completely unintentionally too! I think I started with 0.99pl?? but i
forget the patch level number. Funny story how I go introduced to
linux.

Sameer

Since this is still OT, share?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 16-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Offbreed

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message ...

My frustration, admitedly among
others, is that often my windows machines are just sitting there. If I am
compiling some code, or rendering some home videos, I'd love to be able to
configure all machines on my network to allow ticks to be doled out to other
machines that ask for them. Use the processors.

I just discovered the convenience of removable hard drives. Sure, I
could partition the 40Gig drive, but switching drives *feels* a safer
thing to do. Especially since the last dual boot drive went bad in the
other OS, and the problem ate the one habitually used. Or, so it
seemed at the time.

(smacksmacksmack Backup! smacksmacksmack Backup!!)

Isn't that SETI network software meant for that sort of thing? Haven't
paid much attention to it, but I have not noticed any mention of
"Linux only".

Old 17-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Snooze

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote in message
news:20031116095449.3ad685b5.Cybe_R_Wizard@Wizards Tower...
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:30:42 GMT
"Snooze" wrote:

Completely unintentionally too! I think I started with 0.99pl?? but i
forget the patch level number. Funny story how I go introduced to
linux.

Since this is still OT, share?

Somewhere in the fall of freshmen year or summer post high school
graduation, I got a 540mb hard drive as a replacement for the 40mb hard
drive I had in my 386. At the time I had ms-dos 3.3 installed on the
computer, but dos at the time couldn't access a partition greater then 33mb.
A buddy of mine, had a 486, and a larger hard drive, so I went to his house,
and we copied all of my hard drive to his system using laplink (an all night
task). Afterwards using the linux fdisk, and the format that came with
ms-dos 5.0, we were able to partition the disk into two 220mb partitions.

First we rebuilt the dos side, then my friend showed me this cd, that
installed this program called linux onto the computer. So he installed it
for me. At the time I had never even heard of linux or unix, but since it
was a computer program, and I suddenly had more disk space then I ever knew
what to do with, why not?

Anyways he showed me how to boot into linux or dos using LILO. I went into
linux a few times, but I kept getting stuck in ed or vi, although at the
time I didn't know it was vi. But I knew that hitting control-alt-delete
when I got a screen full of ~ fixed the problem.

At the time I thought linux was a dos program, because all the dos commands
sort of worked. Slowly over time I started to learn how to navigate around
in linux, and learned enough to mess up the install to the point it where
didn't boot. Eventually another friend of mine reinstalled slackware on my
system, and showed me how to do things like recompile the kernel. On a 386,
you start the kernel recompile at breakfast time, and it might be finished
by dinner time.

I think the kernel was around 1.2.x by the time I was familiar with the way
things worked.

Sameer

[IBC] OT Linux (PLS RESPOND OFFLIST) Jim Lewis Bonsai 16 09-04-2003 09:08 PM
[IBC] OT Linux akrummel Bonsai 1 20-03-2003 05:20 AM
[IBC] OT Linux (pls respond ON list) John NJ Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 02:56 PM