Old 06-11-2003, 06:22 PM
D Kat

Default Overwintering Taro

I had thought I had read that to overwinter my taro that I should treat it
just like a Canna bulb. Well I took it out of its basket and rinsed it off
to find no bulb but a lot of roots.... what do I do now? Replant it and
treat it as a house plant? The frost has already killed off the upper
leaves and I have what is still healthy and alive floating in my patio water
garden that I pulled inside. DK

Old 07-11-2003, 05:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

I keep my Taro over in a large bucket of water. I lift the plant from the
pond before the 1st frost, bring it in and set it in the bucket (in it's
pot) by a sunny window. It's "lived over" for 4 winters now. I give it a
little fertilizer about once a month. When I tried treating them like
cannas or caladiums they died. It keeps a few leaves all winter. When the
outdoor weather settles in Spring I put it back out.

Carol.....

et...

Old 07-11-2003, 07:32 AM
jammer

Hello

I bring mine in before the first freeze and keep it very wet until
spring. Most of the leaves die but it comes back very strong and big
the next year.

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:42:18 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

I keep my Taro over in a large bucket of water. I lift the plant from the
pond before the 1st frost, bring it in and set it in the bucket (in it's
pot) by a sunny window. It's "lived over" for 4 winters now. I give it a
little fertilizer about once a month. When I tried treating them like
cannas or caladiums they died. It keeps a few leaves all winter. When the
outdoor weather settles in Spring I put it back out.

Carol.....

. net...

Old 07-11-2003, 11:12 PM
D Kat

I guess from what you both say that what I have done might work (my getting
to it late enough that frost had already killed back most of the leaves has
me not filled with a lot of hope). Thanks, DK

wrote:

I keep my Taro over in a large bucket of water. I lift the plant from

the
pond before the 1st frost, bring it in and set it in the bucket (in it's
pot) by a sunny window. It's "lived over" for 4 winters now. I give it

little fertilizer about once a month. When I tried treating them like
cannas or caladiums they died. It keeps a few leaves all winter. When

the
outdoor weather settles in Spring I put it back out.

Carol.....

. net...

Old 08-11-2003, 07:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

"D Kat" wrote in message
et...
I guess from what you both say that what I have done might work (my

getting
to it late enough that frost had already killed back most of the leaves

has
me not filled with a lot of hope). Thanks, DK

======================
Keep it warm and wet and see if it resprouts. The roots may still be alive.
--
Carol.....
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that

Old 09-11-2003, 07:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I agree, though the type could determine how hardy it is. I've brought my
Imperial Taro in every year for as long as I've had it (5,6,7?) with no
problems. Even the last couple of years leaving it downstairs in low light
next to east facing window. Last year I did this with my new Black Magic &
Violet Stem Taros. The BMT died, the BST just about did too. So both of
those are now upstairs where they have a bigger window and more artificial
light. ~ jan

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:48:58 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" wrote:
Keep it warm and wet and see if it resprouts. The roots may still be alive.

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

taro black magic David Ponds 5 28-04-2004 03:06 AM
taro help needed David Gardening 0 26-04-2004 02:08 AM
MH or HPS Grow Light for Green Taro Michael Shaffer Ponds 3 30-01-2004 03:44 AM
Wanted - taro (Colocasia) for Sydney region Richard Wright Australia 0 17-08-2003 03:07 AM
Pond Photo`s - Ponder Eh?'s Taro ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 23-06-2003 08:40 AM