Old 27-11-2003, 04:43 PM
tdreeves

Default Turkey Day

May each and everyone have a Blessed Thanksgiving!
From the Reeves Family in Arizona.

Old 27-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Steve Jackson

In message lHpxb.22755$m24.22575@fed1read02, tdreeves
writes
May each and everyone have a Blessed Thanksgiving!
From the Reeves Family in Arizona.

Sorry to ask a daft question, but living in the UK, I have no idea what
Thanksgiving Day is all about!

Could someone please enlighten me?

Have a good one anyway:-))
--
Steve
Old 27-11-2003, 07:42 PM
mad

thanksgiving day is our national holiday that commemorates the 1st harvest
the pilgrims had in the new world and how thankful they were to still be
alive. the indians are supposed to have brought food to the pilgrims thereby
showing no hostility toward them. it has become a day for us to thank God
(or if one doesn't believe, whoever provides the good life one has) for our
homes, loved ones and way of life. turkey is a native bird here, supposed to
have been one of the foods the pilgrims ate on the first thanksgiving day
and a staple of the early american diet. ben franklin, one of our founding
fathers, wanted the turkey to be our national bird because of its economic
importance and its delicious flavor, but the american bald eagle won the
contest. there are times that i wish the turkey had won because of the
eagles warring qualities. oh well. not my choice.
mad
--
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse
gets the cheese."

Old 27-11-2003, 08:22 PM
KenCo

mad wrote:

thanksgiving day is our national holiday that commemorates the 1st harvest
the pilgrims had in the new world and how thankful they were to still be
alive. the indians are supposed to have brought food to the pilgrims thereby
showing no hostility toward them. it has become a day for us to thank God
(or if one doesn't believe, whoever provides the good life one has) for our
homes, loved ones and way of life. turkey is a native bird here, supposed to
have been one of the foods the pilgrims ate on the first thanksgiving day
and a staple of the early american diet.

FYI
not even close w/ the turkey

Plymouth plantation is on the coast, not inland, so seafood was a staple
food.
they've had many specials on FoodTV channel about the real foods served.

Venison, rabbit, eels, clams, scallops, lobsters, root veggies, corn and
a few
other delights were at the orig. feasts. interesting huh????

"Popcorn" was also introduced to the pilgrams via the Wampanoag Indians,
they put honey on it, so they invented the basics of "caramel corn" lol

The Plantation/Fort is still there and if your ever in Boston or Prov.
area
its a really cool trip along w/ seeing the orig. (replica) Mayflower.

p.s.
I live less than an hr. away from the Plymouth plantation and have been
there
many many times

ben franklin, one of our founding
fathers, wanted the turkey to be our national bird because of its economic
importance and its delicious flavor, but the american bald eagle won the
contest. there are times that i wish the turkey had won because of the
eagles warring qualities. oh well. not my choice.
mad

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 27-11-2003, 09:02 PM
mad

i just said what i was told. i do know that the indians are sorry they
helped. :-D
mad
--
Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize
you weren't asleep.

Old 27-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Gale Pearce

Now we know where your "Turkey recipe for the Chef challenged " cooks came
from in the other thread :~
Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends
Gale :~)

"Popcorn" was also introduced to the pilgrams via the Wampanoag Indians,

Old 28-11-2003, 02:02 AM
KenCo

Gale Pearce wrote:

Now we know where your "Turkey recipe for the Chef challenged " cooks came
from in the other thread :~
Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends
Gale :~)

"Popcorn" was also introduced to the pilgrams via the Wampanoag Indians,

LOL, its not my recipe, saw it on another group.

Old 28-11-2003, 03:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Sorry to ask a daft question, but living in the UK, I have no idea what
Thanksgiving Day is all about!

Could someone please enlighten me?

http://view.greetings.yahoo.com/gree...?AVNEYGJ6AZ834
Note no women cartoon characters located at the above website. ;o)

Check that out, only the traditional dish is turkey, mash potatoes w/gravy,
sweet potatoes/yams, other veggies or fruit dishes, pumpkin pie.

From this woman's point of view it's a day I work for 6 hrs. in the kitchen
and end up cheated, as by the time I get to sit down, my guests all have to
"hit the road". s ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Nedra

Only 6 hours?? That is All the time you spend in the kitchen on
Thanksgiving Day?? How lucky you are (or Unlucky). I make
a motion you hang out with R. Rhudy - lol two of a kind ..

Btw, I learned the Thanksgiving story same as 'mad' did ....

Nedra

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Sorry to ask a daft question, but living in the UK, I have no idea what
Thanksgiving Day is all about!

Could someone please enlighten me?

http://view.greetings.yahoo.com/gree...?AVNEYGJ6AZ834
Note no women cartoon characters located at the above website. ;o)

Check that out, only the traditional dish is turkey, mash potatoes

w/gravy,
sweet potatoes/yams, other veggies or fruit dishes, pumpkin pie.

From this woman's point of view it's a day I work for 6 hrs. in the

kitchen

Old 28-11-2003, 06:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

You still have that chip on your shoulder? I thought you'd gotten over it,
my mistake. Course I never have figured out what it was.

You missed my point, (but snipers usually do when they're just waiting to
shoot you down) that being, my complaint wasn't about my time in the
kitchen, but I got cheated of the time with my relatives.

Take your BTUs off Nedra, and give me a break, if not, let's take it to
e-mail. ~ jan

Old 28-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Bob Adkins

Sorry to ask a daft question, but living in the UK, I have no idea what
Thanksgiving Day is all about!

Could someone please enlighten me?

Have a good one anyway:-))

It's a drunken, uproarious celebration commemorating our freedom from
England.

No, just kidding!

To most Americans, Thanksgiving is a chance to offer thanks for the bounty
of our land, and for our family, friends, and health. It's our second most
important holiday, after Christmas.

Bob
Old 28-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:57:23 -0600
Bob Adkins wrote:

Sorry to ask a daft question, but living in the UK, I have no idea
what Thanksgiving Day is all about!

Could someone please enlighten me?

Have a good one anyway:-))

It's a drunken, uproarious celebration commemorating our freedom from
England.

No, just kidding!

To most Americans, Thanksgiving is a chance to offer thanks for the
bounty of our land, and for our family, friends, and health. It's our
second most important holiday, after Christmas.

Bob

Bite your tongue! The most important is July 4.
More important that all the rest together.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 28-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Ka30P

Thanksgiving can sometimes
be mistaken for *Christmas Part One*
at least by retail establishments.

And Halloween is *Pre~Christmas*.

;-)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 28-11-2003, 06:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Does that make New's Years *Post-Christmas* or is that the whole week after
Christmas, sell before inventory? ~ jan

Thanksgiving can sometimes
be mistaken for *Christmas Part One*
at least by retail establishments.

And Halloween is *Pre~Christmas*.

;-)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Due to the big size of the World MultiConference in Izmir - Turkey, we added one more day in the eve WSEAS Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Plant Biology 0 30-06-2004 05:10 PM
OT Conversations during Turkey Day ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 9 02-12-2003 08:02 PM
real story of Turkey Day KenCo Ponds 1 29-11-2003 02:12 PM
OT perfect turkey ;) KenCo Ponds 0 27-11-2003 12:32 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM