Old 28-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Bob in PA

Default Heron/Egret

Yesterday I heard the dogs barking, so I ignored them. A couple of
seconds later, my brother tells me to hurry up and come down to the living
room. I get there in time to see a big shadow and flapping wings of a
heron/egret. Later my dad saw him/her sitting on the roof of the neighbors
house.
I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, so wouldn't it be a little cold for
this bird? The last week has been warm (45-60 degrees) but I can't imagine
it getting enough food. It's apparently been around for a couple of weeks.
I'm actually excited, it's the first time this has happened. I'll try
to get some pictures.

Bob

--

Check out my pond webpage:
Http://trains99.tripod.com

Click on the My Pond Link under Places to Go

Old 28-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Ka30P

Some herons migrate but some maintain
year round populations like here in SE WA,
zone 7.
If it is a really cold winter out your pond
probably looks like a good deal ;-)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 28-12-2003, 05:39 PM
GrannyGrump

I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, so wouldn't it be a little cold for
this bird? The last week has been warm (45-60 degrees) but I can't imagine
it getting enough food. It's apparently been around for a couple of weeks.
I'm actually excited, it's the first time this has happened. I'll try
to get some pictures.

umm you might want to check your fish pond.

Pix would be nice!

Old 28-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Bob in PA

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, so wouldn't it be a little cold

for
this bird? The last week has been warm (45-60 degrees) but I can't

imagine
it getting enough food. It's apparently been around for a couple of

weeks.
I'm actually excited, it's the first time this has happened. I'll

try
to get some pictures.

umm you might want to check your fish pond.

Pix would be nice!

It's an elusive little bugger, and I always seem to lose my camera when
it comes around. I'm assuming that it will stay for a while, since I've got
three ponds full of fish, and there are other ponds in the neighborhood.
Pics will be posted as soon as I get them.

Bob

Old 28-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Jim Humphries

It seems you should net your pond or you will be losing fish soon if not
already.
Jim Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 28-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Bob in PA

"Jim Humphries" jhumphri(stop wrote in message
It seems you should net your pond or you will be losing fish soon if not
already.
Jim Humphries, Victoria, BC

The water temperature is pretty cold here, so most if not all of my fish
are on the bottom, but netting would be a bad idea.

Bob

Old 29-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Chagoi

Bob in PA wrote:
Yesterday I heard the dogs barking, so I ignored them. A couple of
seconds later, my brother tells me to hurry up and come down to the living
room. I get there in time to see a big shadow and flapping wings of a
heron/egret. Later my dad saw him/her sitting on the roof of the neighbors
house.
I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, so wouldn't it be a little cold for
this bird? The last week has been warm (45-60 degrees) but I can't imagine
it getting enough food. It's apparently been around for a couple of weeks.
I'm actually excited, it's the first time this has happened. I'll try
to get some pictures.

Bob

Bob

I live a little north of you in the ABE area. There is an egret or two
or three living less than a half mile from me.
They have over wintered here for the last five years, that I have lived
in this neighborhood.
I am hoping that they manage to avoid the new pond when it is completed
in the spring.

Chagoi

http://ourkoipond.com

Egret orchids No Name United Kingdom 2 02-11-2009 01:36 PM
Habenaria radiata, White Egret Orchid Dave Hill United Kingdom 1 21-05-2009 10:17 PM
My neighborhood egret Padraig Garden Photos 0 09-05-2007 12:20 AM
Egret at Backyard pond Pickmaster Ponds 3 16-02-2007 08:43 AM
Egret lost to little birdies! Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 10 08-07-2003 11:44 AM