Old 26-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Ka30P

Default Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife

My pond, here in zone 7, is about two feet deep.
The ice can get as thick as four to five inches but that is very rare as we
have mild winters. You need to plan for conditions in your area.
Frogs don't bury themselves too much, they just like to snuggle up. So I would
not put in a mud hole in the pond. Turtles and frogs have overwintered in my
pond with just a thin layer of muck down there. Depends on the year but could
have been as thick as two inches.
More important is a hole open in the ice.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 26-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Dave

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote in message ...
My pond, here in zone 7, is about two feet deep.
The ice can get as thick as four to five inches but that is very rare as we
have mild winters. You need to plan for conditions in your area.
Frogs don't bury themselves too much, they just like to snuggle up. So I would
not put in a mud hole in the pond. Turtles and frogs have overwintered in my
pond with just a thin layer of muck down there. Depends on the year but could
have been as thick as two inches.
More important is a hole open in the ice.

http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

And just how do you keep a hole in the ice on a remote pond? It seems
that we don't get the cold winters we did years ago here but still the
ice can easily get to six inches and stay frozen for many weeks. I
could poke a small hole in the ice but it would freeze up within a
short time. We don't get enough wind to do any wind-powered trickery.
Old 26-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Ka30P

Dave wrote And just how do you keep a hole in the ice on a remote pond?

No power out there, eh?
Then I suggest you make the pond as big
as you can afford. Stock it very lightly with a some
rosie red minnows or use mosquito dunks to keep the mosquito larvae down. No
lilies in the pond, unless you remove them before winter (plant in pots). That
way you won't have the problem with an over abundance of rotting vegetation and
fish waste to produce toxic gasses.
Any severe winter is going to cause aquatic animal deaths but the cleaner the
pond is going into the winter the better the critters will do who spend the
winter under the ice.
Another way is to fill a milk jug with black sand and place a couple of them
around the pond. Works in milder winters.