Old 26-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Ka30P

Default Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife

Dave wrote And just how do you keep a hole in the ice on a remote pond?

No power out there, eh?
Then I suggest you make the pond as big
as you can afford. Stock it very lightly with a some
rosie red minnows or use mosquito dunks to keep the mosquito larvae down. No
lilies in the pond, unless you remove them before winter (plant in pots). That
way you won't have the problem with an over abundance of rotting vegetation and
fish waste to produce toxic gasses.
Any severe winter is going to cause aquatic animal deaths but the cleaner the
pond is going into the winter the better the critters will do who spend the
winter under the ice.
Another way is to fill a milk jug with black sand and place a couple of them
around the pond. Works in milder winters.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 26-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Ka30P

My pond, here in zone 7, is about two feet deep.
The ice can get as thick as four to five inches but that is very rare as we
have mild winters. You need to plan for conditions in your area.
Frogs don't bury themselves too much, they just like to snuggle up. So I would
not put in a mud hole in the pond. Turtles and frogs have overwintered in my
pond with just a thin layer of muck down there. Depends on the year but could
have been as thick as two inches.
More important is a hole open in the ice.

Old 27-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Ka30P

Another way is to fill a milk jug with black sand

black. black sand. It soaks up the sun's warmth
and helps melt the ice.
:-)

Old 27-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Dave

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote in message ...
Dave wrote And just how do you keep a hole in the ice on a remote pond?

No power out there, eh?
Then I suggest you make the pond as big
as you can afford. Stock it very lightly with a some rosie red
minnows or use mosquito dunks to keep the mosquito larvae down.
No lilies in the pond, unless you remove them before winter (plant
in pots). That way you won't have the problem with an over abundance
of rotting vegetation and fish waste to produce toxic gasses.
Any severe winter is going to cause aquatic animal deaths but the
cleaner the pond is going into the winter the better the critters
will do who spend the winter under the ice. Another way is to fill
a milk jug with black sand and place a couple of them around the
pond. Works in milder winters.

The black jug idea makes me wonder. Maybe a black copper pipe stuck in
the ice? The area gets some sun in the winter so maybe a solar cell
could do something. I could probably carry an airtank down there
occasionally and drive a pike through the ice and then inject air into
the water, but from my compressor the air might be tainted with a bit
of oil vapor so I don't know if this would accomplish more harm than
good. Alternately maybe I could vent the tank slowly and create a few
hours of bubbles. What about plants such as cattails? As far as size
I'm hoping for around ten feet in diameter and a few feet deep, but
should I create a shallower shoreline?
Old 27-01-2004, 05:53 PM
John Maddock

snip

And just how do you keep a hole in the ice on a remote pond? It seems
that we don't get the cold winters we did years ago here but still the
ice can easily get to six inches and stay frozen for many weeks. I
could poke a small hole in the ice but it would freeze up within a
short time. We don't get enough wind to do any wind-powered trickery.

(I think this reply got lost?)

You could try an Ice Guard, see:

http://www.greenideasltd.co.uk/

We have one in our pond and it seems to work quite well.

John.

Old 28-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Ka30P

Dave wrote
What about plants such as cattails?

The trick to cattails is to keep them under control.
In an earth pond they will grow completely across unless the pond is deep
enough. I'm trying to remember what the magic depth is that cattails don't
like. In a planter pot they do fine other than taking over the pot and jumping
out with their razor sharp runners. But if you repot and keep up with them they
do fine. They will tip over in the wind in pots unless anchored.
If you are looking to attract wildlife I would go with a nice shallow
shoreline. Plants at the pond edge are important for cover for critters like
frogs and turtles and salamanders and newts. Also nice for animals that need a
drink.
If I were to do a pond like this, lined. I would make a wide shallow end and
cover it with rock or slate. To keep deer from damaging the liner. You'll have
to keep it weeded as it will grow over. I had a bog area fill all the way in
with grass that started as seeds that I harvested from the lake that my MIL
lives on.

If you only have a few fish, minnows for instance, I would not worry too much
about getting a hole open in the ice. Keep the stocking level very low, skim
the leaves in the fall and you should be okay.

kathy 30acre :-)
Old 28-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Zeuspaul

should I create a shallower shoreline?

Wildlife ponds should have sloping sides.

The Pacific Tree Frogs like my clay wildlife pond with sloping sides. In
the evening they hop to the waterline and sit half in and half out of the
water as they croak.

I believe the pond loses very little water through the clay bottom. The
minimal seepage through the bottom probably helps keep the pond clean and
the mineral build-up down...no need to change out water.

The clay pond does lose more water than my preforms in the summer
time....it is a chore keeping all of them filled in the summer...small
advantage here to the plastic ponds. The clay pond loses more water in the
warmer months due to the wicking of water to the dirt above at the
waterline. I don't think a liner on the bottom is necessary if you have
clay soil...however a liner at the waterline would help reduce the wicking
action. Perhaps rocks would work instead of the liner at the water's edge.

I use the sprinkler system to keep the clay pond filled.