Old 28-01-2004, 10:11 AM
John Maddock

Default Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife

(Dave) writes:
(John Maddock) wrote in message ...
snip

And just how do you keep a hole in the ice on a remote pond? It seems
that we don't get the cold winters we did years ago here but still the
ice can easily get to six inches and stay frozen for many weeks. I
could poke a small hole in the ice but it would freeze up within a
short time. We don't get enough wind to do any wind-powered trickery.

(I think this reply got lost?)

You could try an Ice Guard, see:

http://www.greenideasltd.co.uk/

We have one in our pond and it seems to work quite well.

John.

Looks interesting. Is this a floating solar heated thing?

No it's not solar powered but relies on its insulating properties. According
to the website it has been tested down to -4F and it rarely gets lower than
that here in Scotland. Frogs certainly like it.

John.

Old 28-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Dave

ere (John Maddock) wrote in message ...
(Dave) writes:
[...]

So it is like a little styrofoam house with an aluminum tube? Unless
there is a US distributor I can hardly consider spending roughly $70
on something that one rock throwing child will easily destroy... but
the idea looks interesting -- if it really works. Seems amazing that
it could work down to -4F in the dead of night.
Old 28-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Hal

On 28 Jan 2004 02:27:33 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

The trick to cattails is to keep them under control.

You could eat them!
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla.../Cattails.html

Regards,

Hal
Old 30-01-2004, 01:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

If you cold periods don't last too long you could make do with a battery
powered aerator. Just go to Walmart's Sporting section where the fishing
(for sport) equipment is. They have them for keeping bait alive. Big
Bubbles are the one's I have in case the power goes out. ~ jan

Old 31-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Broomhilda

Many cattle farmers in WV put a log into their remote ponds. This allegedly
helps keep an open space. I assume that the sun hitting the dark bark heats
the log and thus keeps the area around it ice free. Don't know if this is
nonsense or not.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
m...
Here's the FAQ site for rec.ponds:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I'm digging a small pond at a point that will collect runoff water
from a wooded area. I'm hoping to attract wildlife and perhaps a few
frogs. I'm hoping a few goldfish will control the mosquito production.
The planned size is perhaps 8 x 10 feet. I'm still trying to determine
whether a liner will be required. I would like to know the optimum
depth and contour and what plantings would be good. This is a shady
wooded area near St. Louis. Perhaps someone could point me to a small
pond FAQ? Thanks.

Old 31-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Offbreed

Broomhilda wrote:

Many cattle farmers in WV put a log into their remote ponds. This allegedly
helps keep an open space. I assume that the sun hitting the dark bark heats
the log and thus keeps the area around it ice free. Don't know if this is
nonsense or not.

Yes, that would work. The log would freeze in place now and then, but
an open spot will develop near the log after a day or two.

Old 31-01-2004, 08:28 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:27:37 GMT, "Broomhilda"
wrote:

Many cattle farmers in WV put a log into their remote ponds. This allegedly
helps keep an open space. I assume that the sun hitting the dark bark heats
the log and thus keeps the area around it ice free. Don't know if this is
nonsense or not.

Logs are also used to absorb the expansion of the ice so it doesn't damage
the sides of a cement pond or swimming pool. ~ jan