Old 23-01-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Black Koi.. rare??

I got myself a solid Black Koi a while ago.. ( with the exception of
stomach on the bottom ) I have never sen a blakc koi before... Are these
hard to find...???
--
Tim... Lost in the state of confusion... errr make that California..

Old 24-01-2004, 12:45 AM
RichToyBox

The black koi is a magoi. They are one of the original carp from which all
other koi were developed. I do not know how rare they are, but due to the
lack of color, they are not sold as frequently. The Japanese believe that
you have to have one of these Magoi in your pond for good luck. I know that
predators can't see them as well, so they may be there when everything else
is gone, which to them is good luck. I have one that is the product of year
before lasts spawn in my pond, plus one of my first purchases a longfin with
white on the fins.
--
RichToyBox

link.net...

Old 24-01-2004, 08:33 AM

I know when I seen it I had to get him.. ( I am assuming it was a him )
Never seen a solid black Koi before.. good luck huh.. I guess thats why
they suggest that you have at least one red one as well.. Do these Black
ones bring a premium?? Sounds like they are not as common.. I thought it
was an intresting find.. Needless to say I made a woman very upset that I
took it, as she was waiting in line to make a purchase as well.. The other
oddity I thought about was the eye colouration.. They are black as well..
Most of the Koi I have seen typically have white eyes..

Tim..

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
The black koi is a magoi. They are one of the original carp from which

all
other koi were developed. I do not know how rare they are, but due to the
lack of color, they are not sold as frequently. The Japanese believe that
you have to have one of these Magoi in your pond for good luck. I know

that
predators can't see them as well, so they may be there when everything

else
is gone, which to them is good luck. I have one that is the product of

year
before lasts spawn in my pond, plus one of my first purchases a longfin

with
white on the fins.
--
RichToyBox

link.net...

Old 24-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Just Me \Koi\

My experience is that black Koi are not rare. They are culled heavily from
the babies, so only the best make it.
They are sold here in Southern California for less than other Koi because
they are not as desirable? I have 2 in each of my ponds!

They can give you heart attack when you are in the pond to clean it, or when
you are hand feeding your Koi, because you never see then coming, they are
like stealth!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

link.net...

Old 24-01-2004, 05:34 PM

Which explains why I never see the .. Being culled from a breeder means most
of them never make it to market or sold as feeders for a happy Oscar... I
can see them scaring the hell out of you when they get large and hungry, you
won't see them coming and suddenly they are there.. How big are your
fellows..??? The Black guys of course??

Tim..

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
My experience is that black Koi are not rare. They are culled heavily

from
the babies, so only the best make it.
They are sold here in Southern California for less than other Koi because
they are not as desirable? I have 2 in each of my ponds!

They can give you heart attack when you are in the pond to clean it, or

when
you are hand feeding your Koi, because you never see then coming, they are
like stealth!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

link.net...

Old 24-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Just Me \Koi\

About 16-18" long! Tamed, trained to eat of your hands. So they come fast
to snatch food which when you don't know they are coming makes you age fast!
Or when I am inside the pond they come to hang out with me, I see the others
but the black ones I don't until they nibble at my leg hair!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

hlink.net...

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
My experience is that black Koi are not rare. They are culled heavily

from
the babies, so only the best make it.
They are sold here in Southern California for less than other Koi

because
they are not as desirable? I have 2 in each of my ponds!

They can give you heart attack when you are in the pond to clean it, or

when
you are hand feeding your Koi, because you never see then coming, they

are
like stealth!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

link.net...

Old 25-01-2004, 06:32 AM

Yeah, I think I would age quite quickly as well.. I think the rest of the
hair on my head would fall out.. *LOL*

Tim..

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
About 16-18" long! Tamed, trained to eat of your hands. So they come

fast
to snatch food which when you don't know they are coming makes you age

fast!
Or when I am inside the pond they come to hang out with me, I see the

others
but the black ones I don't until they nibble at my leg hair!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

hlink.net...

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
My experience is that black Koi are not rare. They are culled heavily

from
the babies, so only the best make it.
They are sold here in Southern California for less than other Koi

because
they are not as desirable? I have 2 in each of my ponds!

They can give you heart attack when you are in the pond to clean it,

or
when
you are hand feeding your Koi, because you never see then coming, they

are
like stealth!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

link.net...

Old 27-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Theo van Daele

Message from a bald ponder :-)

I have one magoi as well and I love it to bits. They are the fastest
growing and usually healthiest animals in your pond, as they (probably)
haven't been crossbreeding them.

There seem to be 2 varieties: black with a brown "shine" and black with a
blue "shine" (you can only see this in very clear water with enough
sunlight).

Our magoi (called Lola :-) survived a heron attack 2 weeks ago. She had
an ugly wound, but she was impossible to catch. 2 weeks later, you can't
even see where the wound was, amazing. All fine & dandy and sneaking up on
me again.

They are certainly not rare, as they are still sold as consumer fish in
Japan. It is from there that the new KHV outbreak comes BTW.

Enjoy, they are often the most elegant koi in your pond. (when you can see
them that is :-p )

Theo

"T" schreef in bericht
news

Old 28-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Ronald Bremer

I started my ponds about two years ago. The second summer we had our Koi
they produced about 40 young ones. About half of these where black. I
agree with the statements of earlier postings. They are a breed to
themselves. There behavior is completely different from the colored Koi.
They are much more alusive, which combined with their natural camaflauge
makes them very hard to see. I enjoy watching them at night with the pond
lights on. You get the impression that they think they are living in the
wild.

Old 28-01-2004, 04:33 PM

I dont find mine to be any shyer than the highly colored ones... they are usually
right up there at the top sucking for food. INgrid

"Ronald Bremer" wrote:
There behavior is completely different from the colored Koi.
They are much more alusive,

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-01-2004, 05:07 AM
AZKalEl

I have two that were born in the spring of 2002 in my pond. One is a
butterfly; both are of the "brown shine" variety. They do seem a
little more skittish then the rest of the koi and they are definately
more stealth! They are very hard to see, and my water is very clear.
Old 29-01-2004, 06:14 AM

"AZKalEl" wrote in message
om...
I have two that were born in the spring of 2002 in my pond. One is a
butterfly; both are of the "brown shine" variety. They do seem a
little more skittish then the rest of the koi and they are definately
more stealth! They are very hard to see, and my water is very clear.

The fellow I have appears to have a brown tinge to his black.. Skitish..
yes.. But a little feller.. ( maybe 3 inchs without the tail..)

Tim..

RARE BLACK BAMBOO WilsonKKW Bamboo 6 04-08-2003 11:02 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM
Free rare bamboo Dan Burbank & Dawn James Gardening 1 04-04-2003 07:08 PM