Old 27-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Lee B.

Default Paging Nedra!

OK, while most of you are still dreaming of Spring, it's just around the
corner for me. Last year I missed the opportunity to transplant my lotus
because I went from Winter to Spring in about 3 weeks, and it started
growing again before I could transplant it. This year - BEFORE Spring gets
sprung, I want to accomplish that chore. It currently resides in a 15-20
gal. pot; I have a 50 gal. pot in which to place it. I understand the dirt
and fertilizer part (I think G), but what about the old pot? Should I try
to move it in one piece, or should I wash the dirt out, exposing the tubers,
and then transplant those to the larger pot? What's the process???

Thanks!
Lee

Old 27-01-2004, 02:09 PM
GrannyGrump

I'm not Nedra, but thought you might like to see this page on
repotting water lilies.

and fertilizer part (I think G), but what about the old pot? Should I try
to move it in one piece, or should I wash the dirt out, exposing the tubers,
and then transplant those to the larger pot? What's the process???

http://loricase.com/ponds/repot.html

Lori
Old 28-01-2004, 02:45 AM
Nedra

Hi Lee!

I missed last year in dividing my lotus too. Here is what I do:

Pull the pot out of the pond or wherever it is.
Turn the pot upside down and Thump on the bottom. Pot will
empty and put the growing part of the lotus on the top.
This will put the growing part on the top. You'll see lots of old
tubers/roots growing around
the inside of the pot.
Just get ahold of the tuber and cut it down to size. You may
end up with three or four new tubers to plant. Take care not to disturb the
growing points. Then carefully place the tuber in the pot
which you have filled with new garden soil. I have put two new
tubers in a single pot. Fertilize with four or so tabs ... take care
to keep them away from the new tubers.
Don't plant the tubers too deep. An inch or so of soil over the
top is plenty! I have placed a flat rock on top of the tuber ... when
it has refused to be buried.

Slide the newly planted pot into the 50 gal container. That's all
there is to it.

Let me know how it goes....

Nedra - - iced and snowed in - in Missouri

Old 28-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Lee B.

That sounds easy enough! What I was planning on doing is using the 50
gallon pondlet as a pot: I will have an earth berm alongside the semi-buried
tank in the back yard, and will counter-sink the pot in the berm, next to
the pond. I don't want plants in with the fish, but I want the plants close
by. I'm going to countersink my "original" pond (a pre-form) on the other
side and fill it with lilies. In other words, I will have a water garden on
either side of my koi pond. I figured I'd just separate the tubers and plant
them all in that 50 gallon pot. Is that "do-able"?

Sorry 'bout your snow and ice. Two days ago we had a high of 78; tomorrow
morning may have frost. Our weather is weird, too.
Lee

link.net...

Old 28-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Lee B.

Thanks! I don't have any lilies at the moment - gave them all away last
year, but I miss them and will get some more for this year. Very useful
link: I do better with pictures than words . . .

Lee

news

Old 28-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Nedra

It sounds do-able...and very pretty. Am wondering if you'll have water over
the tops of the tubers? And you say you do better with
pictures - LOL so do I, obviously.

Just came inside from brrrr cold ice bound pond.... Had to cut away the
net. A mourning dove was captured underneath the net.
It flew soon as it was free to do so.
Such a pretty bird.

Nedra

Old 28-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Nedra

As with Lee, so it is with me, Lori.
Wish I had some pics of the dividing
process for lotus. Does anyone have the instructions from
The Plant Place? Roxanne's pictures are so easy to follow.
I have them printed out somewhere .......

Nedra

Old 28-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Lee B.

I plan on 8-10 inches of water on top of the dirt. Is that enough or should
I plan on more?

I used to have a "pet" mourning dove where we used to have the office. I put
up a bird feeder in one of the trees and would refill it every day, throwing
some on the ground for the doves. The squirrels got to the point that they
knew my car (REALLY!), so that even if I showed up on the weekends, they
would come bounding across the street to see me. They'd take peanuts from my
hand . . . at any rate, this one little dove was so friendly she'd land on
my head. Gave me quite a start the first time. I began to feel like that
garden statue of St. Francis of Assisi . . .Then one day she didn't show up
.. . . I know she was wild, but it hurt all the same.

Lee

.net...

Old 29-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Nedra

That will be plenty of water, Lee. Mine only have about 5 or 6
inches water over the dirt. Depends alot on how hot it gets. Just
so they aren't too deep.

Your pet mourning dove sounds soooo lovely. I know it did
hurt when she failed to show up
I've been wondering how I could tame one... it would have to
do the selecting. I have a huge flock that stays by the lotus
pond all year long.
The squirrels are such a hoot - they know as soon as I open
the door to skoot away from the bird feeders.
I have squirrel feeders all
over but they would rather have bird seed.. lol

Nedra

"Lee B." wrote in message
[...]

.net...

Old 29-01-2004, 04:04 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
That will be plenty of water, Lee. Mine only have about 5 or 6
inches water over the dirt. Depends alot on how hot it gets. Just
so they aren't too deep.

snip

Of course I must chime in and post the anomoly that is my lotus. It was
quite healthy this year despite my dog-in-law jumping in and crushing the
aerials. This plant was planted in about 4-6 inches of mud from the yard,
and sunk close to 4 feet down.

http://tinyurl.com/2t4dk

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 30-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Nedra

LOL!
BK your post proves the exception.
Your lotus is gorgeous!!

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
That will be plenty of water, Lee. Mine only have about 5 or 6
inches water over the dirt. Depends alot on how hot it gets. Just
so they aren't too deep.

snip

Of course I must chime in and post the anomoly that is my lotus. It was
quite healthy this year despite my dog-in-law jumping in and crushing the
aerials. This plant was planted in about 4-6 inches of mud from the yard,
and sunk close to 4 feet down.

http://tinyurl.com/2t4dk

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Paging Dr Solo - Help - Sick Fish dkat Ponds 1 28-05-2004 06:04 AM
Paging Dr Solo - Help - Sick Fish dkat Ponds (alternative) 1 28-05-2004 06:02 AM
Paging Jammer... Pond Newbie Ponds 7 06-04-2004 09:22 PM
Paging Jammer... Pond Newbie Ponds 0 01-04-2004 08:15 PM
OT paging SHANNIE! Darkginger United Kingdom 0 06-07-2003 10:51 AM