Old 10-02-2004, 02:05 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Safety of Copper Pipes?

"Ken Russell" wrote in message
u...
Not sure about its safety for fish. But your criteria "I figure it safe

for
us to drink, it should be safe in the tank or pond for that matter." is

not
sound. Chlorinated water is safe for us to drink but deadly to fish :-(

snip

That's true, but I can treat for that, and the treatments are readily
available. I have never seen DeCopper anywhere. LOL.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 10-02-2004, 02:11 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Copper will oxidize, though slowly, and the oxide will enter the water.

It
is very toxic once it reaches a certain concentration. When I started

with
aquaria about 30 years ago, the only cure for many of the parasites was to
put copper pennies in the water, and when the fish started to roll, do a
major water change. If it almost killed the fish, it probably killed the
parasites.

snip

So is it safe to assume the water 'standing' in normal household pipes is
not a problem because it is changed so often? Back to the drawing board I
guess.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 10-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Sam Hopkins

If your PH is 7.0 it will leech and be dissolved into the water column and
build up and affect your fish. If your PH is 7.0 it will precipitate out
and not affect anything. I know this from treating acid mine drainage.

Sam

P.S. Most dechlorinators now a days are also heavy metal removers.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
I just replumbed my entire house with copper, and I have some left over. I
am thinking about building a DIY filter for my aquarium, just for fun. Any
thoughts on the safety of using copper in an aquaria environment? I figure
it safe for us to drink, it should be safe in the tank or pond for that
matter.

Any thoughts?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
If your PH is 7.0 it will leech and be dissolved into the water column

and
build up and affect your fish. If your PH is 7.0 it will precipitate out
and not affect anything. I know this from treating acid mine drainage.

Sam

P.S. Most dechlorinators now a days are also heavy metal removers.

snip

Sam...I'll take your word for it, but I think I'll go with PVC. It's cheap.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 11-02-2004, 07:05 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Yeah but then we'll never know. =)

snip

LOL.

BV.

Pipes freezing? Dennis Clark Ponds 0 19-01-2004 04:20 PM
frozen pipes Drew Lovasi Ponds 4 16-02-2003 05:51 AM
Frozen Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 05-02-2003 11:40 PM
re Frozen Pipes? John Rutz Ponds 0 05-02-2003 05:10 PM
Contigency Pipes for a Stream BenignVanilla Ponds 4 02-02-2003 01:53 AM