Old 11-02-2004, 01:49 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Filter Design

This is probably a better question for alt.fishtanks, but I figure I know
you people better, and I live it here...

I am thinking of experimenting with a DIY filter for my 55gallon tank. I
figure working on small designs may yeild some fun project for the pond.
Anyway, does anyone care to discuss some designs?

My tank sits on a table of sorts and is 3 feet or so off the ground. There
is a staircase behind it so building a filter above it, and letting it
gravity feed back into the tank could be problematic. Letting the tank
gravity feed down to the filter and then pump back up to the tank would be
problematic (I think?) because then the tank can conceiveably drain.

So where do I go from here?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Bonnie

BenignVanilla wrote:
This is probably a better question for alt.fishtanks, but I figure I know
you people better, and I live it here...

My tank sits on a table of sorts and is 3 feet or so off the ground. There
is a staircase behind it so building a filter above it, and letting it
gravity feed back into the tank could be problematic. Letting the tank
gravity feed down to the filter and then pump back up to the tank would be
problematic (I think?) because then the tank can conceiveably drain.

So where do I go from here?

BV.

My indoor pond is 40 gallons. I use a slotted planting
basket set in a milkcrate. The pump in inside the milk
crate with a piece of pvc attached to the pump, it goes up
through the milk crate and then through a tower of lava
rock. The basket is filled with bioballs and surrounded
with blue furnace filter.
This is the second year I've used this setup and I'm happy
with the sound and the effectiveness. There are 2 large
fantails and 2 first year fantails in this pond. I do
weekly water changes. The only plant in the pond now is
a peace lily.
With you diy skills I'm sure you could dream up a nice
setup yourself.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 11-02-2004, 07:07 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

So is this sitting IN your pond?

BV.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Bonnie

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Bonnie" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:

[...]

Sorry, yes.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 11-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Hal

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:42:04 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

My tank sits on a table of sorts and is 3 feet or so off the ground. There
is a staircase behind it so building a filter above it, and letting it
gravity feed back into the tank could be problematic. Letting the tank
gravity feed down to the filter and then pump back up to the tank would be
problematic (I think?) because then the tank can conceiveably drain.

One simple suggestion I might to keep from draining the tank, is a
siphon break on a pumped line can be a simple hole in the line/tube.
I pump from the pond filter up to a plant pond and to keep it from
draining/siphoning back I drilled a small hole on an angle toward the
flow just above the waterline at the outlet end and the flow draws air
and adds bubbles in the flow of water. When the pump shuts down the
air hole becomes a siphon break. I'm using 1 1/2" pipe in the pond, but
the same idea should work on a smaller scale.

Regards,

Hal

Old 11-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

BV,

You may not need any external filter.About 1 1/2" of medium gravel, sub-sand
filter and good power heads will handle 2 12" oscars in a 70 gal tank. No
external filter needed for most 55 gal set ups. About every 6 mo to a year
you need to clean the sand. You can do it in the tank if you strip out
plants, etc, toss the gravel to lift the gunk, and use a small under water
pond pump pulling through a tupperware and filter sponge. I could send you
a pic of the tupperware setup. I have run my oscar tank for about eight
years now. Recently I added philadendron to pull out some nutrients and
decorate.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 12-02-2004, 03:34 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Similar to Bonnie's design I use a bucket filter in my patio pond in the
living room. When it comes to my tanks though, I love Fuval filters,
pricey, but my oh my they work so very well and quiet. ~ jan
Old 12-02-2004, 03:38 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Old 12-02-2004, 03:43 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Old 12-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Hello tehre

You should go and check out Marc Levensons DIY for his ref setup.
(rec.aquaria.marine.reefs) there is some VERY useful information on his
website which may help you out with your plumbing issues, he's quite a
friendly chap and would probably help you out if you asked some questions!
HTH
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 12-02-2004, 02:07 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie" wrote in message
snip
So is this sitting IN your pond?

BV.

Sorry, yes.

snip

Yeah, that won't work. I need to build something that the wife won't mind
having in the family room. LOL.

I am thinking if, I used a 6 gallon brew bucket with a sealed lid. One pipe
comes from tank into bucket. Another goes out of bucket into tank. A
submersible pump is inside the bucket with filter media on top. This way I
pump up to the tank, the water is gravity fed down to the bucket. I guess I
would need to prime this though, eh?

Theoretically, the sealed bucket would keep me from having a gravity mess.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com