Old 12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Filter Design

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
.. .
BV,

You may not need any external filter.About 1 1/2" of medium gravel,

sub-sand
filter and good power heads will handle 2 12" oscars in a 70 gal tank. No
external filter needed for most 55 gal set ups. About every 6 mo to a

year
you need to clean the sand. You can do it in the tank if you strip out
plants, etc, toss the gravel to lift the gunk, and use a small under water
pond pump pulling through a tupperware and filter sponge. I could send

you
a pic of the tupperware setup. I have run my oscar tank for about eight
years now. Recently I added philadendron to pull out some nutrients and
decorate.

snip

Jim...I already have a hang on filter on the back of the tank although I
don't think it does much. The filters take about 4 months to get dirty. I
have a nice layer of substrate, and some bottom feeders and some plants. All
parameters are perfect. I can't explain how, they just are.

Anyway, the idea of this external pump is really two fold. 1) I am a geek
with no free time, so of course I am looking to make life difficult by
adding another project that I don't need. 2) I am thinking some day of doing
a reef tank, and for me to afford it, I'll need to be crafty with some DIY
stuff, so I figured I would experiment now....see item 1).

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 12-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Benign

Hi. I will send it to you tomorrow. Yes you will have to create a siphon,
don't worry about gravity spills, the water will only siphon as deep as your
outlet tube allows, IOW if you only have the siphon going 5-10cm below the
water level then this is where the siphon breaks! Just make sure that your
bucket/tank can take the extra few gallons. I'll send you the link tomorrow,
its much easier to see when there's pics involved.

OK, here's the link to the overflow
http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/tank/overflow.html

and heres the link to his main page
http://www.melevsreef.com/
take a look at some of the sump designs to give you some more ideas. If I
can be of any further assistance just SHOUT . Have a nice evening.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message

Hello tehre

You should go and check out Marc Levensons DIY for his ref setup.
(rec.aquaria.marine.reefs) there is some VERY useful information on his
website which may help you out with your plumbing issues, he's quite a
friendly chap and would probably help you out if you asked some

questions!
snip

Does he have a URL?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

BV

Projects is a topic I recognize! So does Phyllis. Mine are about finding
which filter plants work best. Hers have to do with repainting the walls of
the hall or cleaning my mess in a back room. I have to swing my head around
to the project mode when I do hers. Mine are so much more fun for a
putterer...hers are appropriate and needed...but less fun for a putterer.
Enjoy your new filter...its sort of like my philadendron in the 70 gal Oscar
tank.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 PM
BenignVanilla

[...]

That never occured to me. If I keep the output of the tank near the top, I
can't drain it all out. Good thinking.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 12-02-2004, 08:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
.. .
BV

Projects is a topic I recognize! So does Phyllis. Mine are about finding
which filter plants work best. Hers have to do with repainting the walls

of
the hall or cleaning my mess in a back room. I have to swing my head

around
to the project mode when I do hers. Mine are so much more fun for a
putterer...hers are appropriate and needed...but less fun for a putterer.
Enjoy your new filter...its sort of like my philadendron in the 70 gal

Oscar
tank.

snip

Well I started a remodel of the kitchen, it's at 90%, I still have to do the
toe kicks, moldings, handles, etc. I gutted the Master Bath...no end in
sight for that one. I replumbed the entire house with copper. I tore out 2
walls and am building a plyroom downstairs. Sounds to me like a new filter
that I don't need, is a good project for now.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com