Old 19-02-2004, 05:31 PM
stricks760

Default Will Water Hyacinth Return?

[Okay, I clearly don't know how to spell hyacinth].

Approaching my first spring (pond went 'live' last September) -- I put in
some water lettuce and hyacinth in September. The water lettuce is all
gone - don't know where it went. The Hyacinth is all shriveled up, but
bobbing around here and there.

Should I throw it out and replace it, or will it come back from the
half-dead looking plants?

In Zone 10b (Coastal Southern CA), when should I expect to see signs of life
with this, and my water lilly?

Thanks!

Old 19-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Charles

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:04:15 GMT, "stricks760"
wrote:

[Okay, I clearly don't know how to spell hyacinth].

Approaching my first spring (pond went 'live' last September) -- I put in
some water lettuce and hyacinth in September. The water lettuce is all
gone - don't know where it went. The Hyacinth is all shriveled up, but
bobbing around here and there.

Should I throw it out and replace it, or will it come back from the
half-dead looking plants?

In Zone 10b (Coastal Southern CA), when should I expect to see signs of life
with this, and my water lilly?

Thanks!

It should come back, depending on local circumstances. Mine has for
years, i supplied a local water garden place. A friend of mine,
even closer to the coast lost his for a few years, but then has been
having it survive lately. I'm in Sunset zone 21, not sure of the USDA
zone, 9 I think.

Where did you get the water lettuce? I think that's illegal here
(CA).
--

- Charles
-

Old 19-02-2004, 06:54 PM
stricks760

Got the water lettuce from California Koi Farms in Fallbrook, CA -- along
with my 6 Koi.

Dang, you're telling me I may have been growing illegal stuff? That's not
the particular variety of 'stuff' that most people around here get in
trouble for growing!

news

Old 19-02-2004, 07:30 PM
joe

On 2/19/04 10:27 AM, "stricks760" wrote:

Dang, you're telling me I may have been growing illegal stuff? That's not
the particular variety of 'stuff' that most people around here get in
trouble for growing!

I don't think water Hyacinth is illegal here. Mime comes back strong every
year (san diego, zone 24)

Joe

Old 19-02-2004, 07:39 PM
joe

Ooops, can't read.

Water lettuce is legal. Mine just dies and I get new.