Old 20-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Offbreed

Default Building a paddle boat dock

BenignVanilla wrote:

OK, more seriously. I am guessing the easy part is the decking. The hard
part is the buoncy...the boin...the boya...making it float. How do you do
that cheaply? I'd then think materials are the next concern. I'd probably
use Trex (that new recycled decking) so you don't have pressure treated wood
in contact with your water. If it is half as naughty as they say it is, it
must be very naughty. What then for underneath? PVC? Galvinized steel?

Plastic barrels. If they are 55 gallon drums, they will support about
440# each. You'd want them no more than half under water to keep the
deck skirting dry (fights rot and reduces leaching of treatment
chemicals), so 4 of them would support 880# out of water, 6 would
support 1320#.

Environmental rules have changed several times since I last checked,
but there is at least one type treated wood usable for decking. Might
make a difference if the wood is going to be used under water. I would
not bet on the rules staying the same for any length of time, so
better to keep the wood dry.

Old 21-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Judi9000

-- Check out my homepage: http://home.hiwaay.net/~n4bk/index.htm

This is really neat! I love the green house and all of the ponds! Judi

Old 21-02-2004, 04:31 AM
REBEL JOE

LOL BV KILLS ME

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 21-02-2004, 04:40 AM
REBEL JOE

Old 22-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Bob

Hi Sam, if you look at my link below you can see how I constructed mine using
PVC and concrete pilings. The dock is 5' wide and 16' long. If your pond is
full then it wil be a little harder but using a piece of 2 by 6 lumber over the
top of the piling and a sledge while standing on a ladder should allow you to
drive it in the ground. Mine are about 15 inches in the ground and then filled
with concrete after putting a couple of pieces of rebar in them. I put the
frame on it prior to filling them as I didn't want to have to drill through
hardened concrete. Use galvanized lag bolts 8 inches long to go through the 2
by 8 lumber for the frame. It is extremely sturdy and I never have to worry
about it rotting out. Good luck and your post was perfectly fine here. I have
3 ponds 1200 gallons in the greenhouse 7500 gallons and 325,851 gallons (approx
at full pool) outside.

Bob

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hi Everyone,

This year I wanted to put a dock on my pond for my paddle boat. I was
going to buy one of those prefab ones but then I thought, where's the fun
at! Does anyone know even where I should begin? It would have to be at least
12' long and 3-4' wide.

-- Check out my homepage: http://home.hiwaay.net/~n4bk/index.htm

Old 23-02-2004, 02:39 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

-- Check out my homepage: http://home.hiwaay.net/~n4bk/index.htm

This is really neat! I love the green house and all of the ponds! Judi

I just droll for a green house/pond area. ~ jan
~ jan